. .

Thread: routercnc_MK3

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quick overview of cnc machine mk3 which is nearing completion. Main uses are still balsa, liteply, and wood routing, but I've also been doing more aluminium recently.

Only the Z axis and gantry top from the Y axis have been retained, everything else is new.

Bed
    Bed is now 80x80 aluminium profile (heavy gauge) with multiple cross members. One more is due to be added in addition to those shown in the photos, plus further crossbracing in other directions. Intention is to be able to bolt a big machine vice directly to the bed for ali work, and/or purchase a milling table (e.g SIEG 400x125 T-slot) for bigger bits. For wood cutting the bed would instead support an 18mm ply main board followed by a sacrificial board.

Gantry
    The sides are 100x50x6 RHS with sliced profile inserts to allow bolting through without crushing. At the base of the gantry is a 30mm thick block drilled lengthways to take the 16mm ballscrews, bolted down onto the bearing blocks, and bolted from the sides to take M12 bolts from the side sections.
    There is an adapter plate to join the ballscrew to the front of these blocks. It was quite a squeeze to get all these bits to together without clashing but I'm glad I persisted with the design to get a good joint.
    Gantry drive is now twin X axis not single.
    The gantry itself now runs on supported rail rather than a cobbled together set of roller bearings. I considered profile rail but at these lengths it gets expensive.

Y axis
    This uses the parts from mk2 as they worked well. I've designed the layout to allow me to move the stepper motor to the side and drive the ballscrew via a belt in future. This is mainly for neatness.

Dust extraction
    I've posted the details in a recent post but this will be an automatic floating shoe using 100mm clear flex pipe throughout.

Spindle
    Spindle is the existing 1.5kW water cooled unit and 1.5kW Moeller VFD drive. If I were to start again I would go for the 2.2kW spindle as it can take the ER20 collect (up to ~12mm). I stalled the 1.5kW spindle quite often if I slowed the speed enough for drilling so more power would be better and I don't think any extra weight would bother the rest of the machine.

Enjoy the pics . . .
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mk3 001.jpg 
Views:	2101 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	11229Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mk3 013.jpg 
Views:	1944 
Size:	113.9 KB 
ID:	11230Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mk3 014.jpg 
Views:	1677 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	11231Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mk3 015.jpg 
Views:	3439 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	11232

Name:	mk3 019.jpg 
Views:	1924 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	11233

Name:	mk3 023.jpg 
Views:	1555 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	11234Click image for larger version. 

Name:	upgrades 040.jpg 
Views:	1571 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	11235

For info the old mk1 and mk2 machines can be found here:
    http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/gantry...2-upgrade.html
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

2. The Following User Says Thank You to routercnc For This Useful Post:

Thread Information