. .
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Hi guys. Im here looking for a bit of advice really. Im aiming to build a router with a 8x4 machine bed not wanting to spend thousands but not expecting eveything for 200 quid.

So im buying bits every payday and will design a gantry router around the motors and rack and pinions I buy so this month I wanna buy the step driver and came across a few cheap options I found 2 types I found a breakout board and drivers system or a combined unit that I quiet like the look of

High Integrated 4Axis Professional TB6600HG CNC Router Lathe Stepping Driver Set | eBay

Just popped on ebay and this tb6600 is the one id like to know about. Has anyone used it? Does it do what it says on the tin? If i remember correctly I am hoping to use nema 23 motors 566oz 4nm 4a the specs say it will work so just hoping for someone to tell me its not to good to be true

3. don't buy motors or electronics until after you have a near final design, or better still, after you've completed the mechanicals. and 'all-in-one' are often a false economy, and probably won't be up to the needs of an 8 x 4 machine anyway..

Thankyou for your input. Do you have a suggestion of a good well priced 4axis breakout board and power supplies compatable with a handle control wheel and upto 5 amp per phase

Quote Originally Posted by dangerousdave View Post
    Dave Don't buy anything yet because you'll be making the classic mistake often made by new people and will blow money big time.!!

The fact you have looked at this kit tells us that you haven't done any home work really because if you had you'd know these are complete pile of Crap and absolutley no use for the machine your thinking to build.

Irvings Advise is sound advise but from the looks of it you really need to go away and study the forum and build logs because to build a large format Cnc machine requires you have a sound understanding of how to go about it in every department.
    The electronics are KEY to a good machine and for a machine thats running R&P even more important you get it correct because it's very inefficient compared to ballscrew machines so Motor and drive selection is critical.

Honestly your approach of buying each month is not a good one at all. You'll be much better off putting the money in the bank and swatting up on whats needed then start with the frame and work up from there buying electrics and stuff just before required.
    This way you'll be much more informed of what's actually needed and you'll save a load of money on wrong components.

Money in the bank will be spent up I would need to purchase bits monthly to do it. I would go down the ball screw route if it were possible.. or necessary I have searched through other build threads and they are not greatly detailed nor do I want to spend a grand on electrics I would have liked to got electrics all sorted for 2-300 quid including motors and psu. What would you recomend for me? I dont need anything mega quick but would like repeatability and fairly decent accuracy

cheers for your input its all greatly appreciated

8. Quote Originally Posted by dangerousdave View Post
    Money in the bank will be spent up I would need to purchase bits monthly to do it. I would go down the ball screw route if it were possible.. or necessary I have searched through other build threads and they are not greatly detailed nor do I want to spend a grand on electrics I would have liked to got electrics all sorted for 2-300 quid including motors and psu. What would you recomend for me? I dont need anything mega quick but would like repeatability and fairly decent accuracy

cheers for your input its all greatly appreciated
    Dave,

It's not like me to be blunt (I usually leave that to Jazz or JohnS lol) but, with all respect, if you don't have the willpower and focus to put the money aside in a separate account then you're unlikely to have the determination and focus to ever finish a project of this scale; an 8 x 4 machine is not a light undertaking, ask those few who have done it successfully.

Your question about motors and PSU re repeatability/accuracy suggests you have a huge learning curve to go through to understand the basics before you're ready to purchase anything.

The build logs have a wealth of detail but they need to be used as part of a learning process; they are not, and never can be, a step-by-step hand-holding guide. No two machines are the same, especially at that size.

Also consider this: this is a year-long project, if you buy the electronics now they will be out of warranty by the time you come to use them so you'd better budget for replacing them because if you buy that cheap crap you're almost guaranteed to need to do so. So save the money now and buy the right stuff when you need it.

The members on this site have a huge amount of expertise; you are well advised to listen to them if you don't want to throw money away.

Off-topic, but relevant; for putting money aside, if you're in the UK, I suggest premium bonds as a saving vehicle; ok you get no interest but it's sufficient hassle to get the money out to keep it safe and you might win something!

I really dont think this is a huge project. Im by trade a qualified engineer albiet a cnc turner thats never worked with wood but cant be that hard :p.. but thats why im asking about the electronics side of this. The router bed is for me the easier bit. People keep saying them boards are crap but have offered no alternative? I know there cheap crap thats why im here to get opinions and learn more about what others are using. Im sure not everyone is using expensive gekodrives? Surely someone uses some alternative? As far as a time scale goes maybe 6 months would be a realistic one.

Dave. I don't normally respond to new builds as I am a newboy myself that has been guided through the maze of do's and don'ts of building and buying different parts for the machine and now after a year of hard work I have succeeded in building a router 1600x1000 that I am happy with. I have only been able to achieve this without wasting a lot of money and time with the help of Dean (Jazcnc) and Jonathan form this forum. They have given there time freely you cannot buy that sort of experience.

Why don't you start with a drawing in something like Sketchup (its free) and post it on here and then the good people will evaluate it and give you good honest feedback as you develop it into a working drawing and then a machine.

As you are doing this they will advise on the type of motors, drives and rails etc that will work with your setup.

It would also help others if you said what you would like to cut and to what tolerances. Please take this with the spirit it is intended and good luck with the build. ..Clive

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information