. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi all,
    Where do you get your aluminum to build your router?
    I can't seems to be able to find anything thicker than 5 or 6mm...

I need something like 12 or maybe 15mm thick to build the Y and Z axis of my router.

Also, what grade do you use? 6061, 6082 ?

Ta,
    RNR

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 14 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by rnr107 View Post
    Hi all,
    Where do you get your aluminum to build your router?
    I can't seems to be able to find anything thicker than 5 or 6mm...

I need something like 12 or maybe 15mm thick to build the Y and Z axis of my router.

Also, what grade do you use? 6061, 6082 ?

Ta,
    RNR
    This is one place Aluminium Flat Bar | Aluminium Bar | Aluminium Warehouse but there are others.

15mm seems a little thin to me: 20mm is more usual re the grade 6082 or ecocast but others will chirp in .. Clive

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    This is one place Aluminium Flat Bar | Aluminium Bar | Aluminium Warehouse but there are others.

15mm seems a little thin to me: 20mm is more usual re the grade 6082 or ecocast but others will chirp in .. Clive
    Cool! Looks good , Thanks Clive.

I would have thought in your area there would be a reasonable choice of local suppliers, you have to ask for a price for that particular item, it's unlikely they will stock it.
    I used 20mm and got it from my local steel/metal stockist. It was a special order because they don't stock it but only took a few days to arrrive and was cheaper than internet suppliers I looked at.
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 10-01-2014 at 09:39 PM.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    I never use Aluminium Warehouse after they never done anything about my last order they screwed up. Despite being told their substitute sizes were no use before they even sent them, they still sent them, and then proceeded to do nothing about fixing it despite numerous phonecalls and emails.

Now, I either try local for larger quantities, or Metal Suppliers – Round Metal Bar– Stainless Steel Rod – Stainless Steel Rod – Stainless Steel Bar- Brass Rod – Brass Round Bar – Aluminium Rod when I'm needing smaller quantities. Metal and Plastic also dispatch your order in a reasonable time frame, unlike AW who seemed to only send it when they could be bothered, which was usually around a week after you placed the order.

Alright I'll see if I can find anything local first... But Not having any car doesn't help the search... Unless they have a web site or are on the Yellow pages... :-)

Thanks for all replies!

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 14 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Alright I'll see if I can find anything local first... But Not having any car doesn't help the search... Unless they have a web site or are on the Yellow pages... :-)

Thanks for all replies!
    It doesn't do any harm to get a price as least you will know how much something might cost etc.

This is where I got mine, you can ask about delivery options to your address.

Thomas Graham & Sons Ltd

Thanks for all replies!
    Aluminium warehouse is your best bet if you have no transport and small/Med quantity. I use them all the time and really over than some times not having stock I don't get any issues. Even when a replacemnet is offered I often come out on top because it's a better grade for same money.

I think M_C was a little unlucky but that doesn't excuse the treatment but my experiece has only been positive.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    I'm certainly not alone with my issues! - Aluminium Warehouse Reviews | Customer Reviews Of www.aluminiumwarehouse.co.uk
    My biggest regret is I never used a credit card to pay for the order, so I couldn't even claim the money back that way.
    It wasn't a large order, but reguarly seeing the 16metres of bar sitting on the shelf that I have no use for annoys me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information