. .
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The machine was allegedly working prior to removal so why would the screws be likely to be bent?. If there is nothing wrong with the controller why change it? I understand that these machines were quite robust and that many are still in use. I recently bought an old SCM 120 on ebay now and it is now working well. The spindle in that machine will be of a far better quality than any replacement would be, and the machine may well have a tool change system. If you buy the machine my advice would be to get it home (workshop?) and see just what you have got. You may well be in for a pleasant suprise-I hope so anyway. Transport is likely to be quite expensive, the SCM cost about 1k to bring from the south coast to Bourne Lincolnshire, But I had quotes up to twice that. Enjoy your day tomorrow-good haggling. G.

I agree with Geoffrey, its worth spending a little time getting it back up and running as it stands. The controller on this will be quite nice to use and very reliable in comparison to a standard mach3 setup.
    CNC routing and prototyping services www.cncscotland.co.uk

ADD ME ON FACEBOOKS

I like to consider worst case scenario first, with when buying used stuff, and work back from there, i got the manual for the controller, managed to track down the manuals for both the spindle and the machine ( not orderd yet, just found ).

Am not sure the controller is capable of what i need, and it seems the only way to communicate with it ( is restricted to max 9600br,

The machine was allegedly working prior to removal so why would the screws be likely to be bent?

scrap dealers not machine dealers, might not of understood how carfull you have to loads these, and i wander why it ended up at there in the first place, instead of being sold in place.

just got back

its been left outside ( undercover ) for a few months, could not test it powered, rails have some surface rust on, box with electics in looks fine, ITS HUGE, just trying to price up delivery before i consider an offer

Lives in Cardiff, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 25-10-2022 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 699. Received thanks 29 times, giving thanks to others 1 times.
    i offered to buy it last week, but they couldn't be bothered to deliver it.
    Last edited by i2i; 21-01-2014 at 06:43 PM.

delivery is quite expensive, did you go have a look at it ?

Lives in Cardiff, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 25-10-2022 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 699. Received thanks 29 times, giving thanks to others 1 times.
    no, after i had a run around from the person who answered the phone i thought better of it.

we had a bit of a wait around today as well, will see how we go tomorrow,

Yes, scrap dealers selling, but that does not mean the machine is scrap. There could be many reasons for it being in a scrap yard. Often if a landlord or liquidator needs to clear a unit quickly it is the easiest way to sell. It would be quite difficult to lift that machine by the ballscrews, so I doubt if the are damaged!!! As i said before it cost about 1K to transport my SCM (£800+vat) using a lorry with hiab to enable both loading and unloading as we had no access to a forklift capable of handling 5 tonnes. Don,t worry about a bit of surface rust on the rails - just take a look at KingCreakies machine refurb - he ended up with "rusty rails looking like new. Be brave, try an offer of 1K and see how it goes!!! G.

Quote Originally Posted by george uk View Post
    I am expecting to replace the full gubbins, but have the spindle and other parts serviced. Allthough, if the servoes do work, it will be a bonus.
    Chances are the Motor drives use -/+ 10v analog signals rather than step and direction signals in which case you may just get away with changing out the controller for one that can output analog signals. Like the CSMIO-IP-A.
    Also you'll need shed load of inputs to keep most of it's functions so be aware that what ever you Control it with will need to provide plenty of Inputs.!!. . . Standard parallel port won't be much use here. . .Lol
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 22-01-2014 at 12:16 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information