. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Today i started my very own rockcliff machine cnc router build, so far i have cut all the parts from MDF.

I only have basic hand tools, so should be intresting to see how i get on.

Below is some pics of the parts all cut ready for the next stage, next i will be drilling each part with pilot holes ready for assembly and so on. The rockcliff machine can be simply glued, however i will be using wood screws for mine. The guys over at rockcliff have now also updated the plans to use screws and consider it a good move.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02224.JPG 
Views:	580 
Size:	484.8 KB 
ID:	2686   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02223.JPG 
Views:	2000 
Size:	494.7 KB 
ID:	2687   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02188.jpg 
Views:	466 
Size:	192.2 KB 
ID:	2688  
    Last edited by Lee Roberts; 20-08-2010 at 12:19 AM.
    .Me

Hi Lee

I have just joined the forum. I have purchased a set of Rockcliff plans and I am putting together my shopping list.

I have a lathe and milling machine, so I can fabricate some stuff. I see from the forum that you have made some Delrin nuts to use with the drive rods. Looking at Google, Delrin seems to come only in round rod or flat sheets. Do you make your nuts from sheet and cut to size, or do you have a source for rectangular Delrin?

I am also trying to sort out the guide rods for the various axis. Marchant Dice do a kit of parts, but the rods and bushes are metric, I can only find large diameter imperial router bits (from Axminster tools), did you use metric bushes and find a metric router bit for your Rockcliff?

It is great having a UK forum, to be able to track down UK suppliers.

Many thanks

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by kevinti View Post
    Hi Lee

I have just joined the forum. I have purchased a set of Rockcliff plans and I am putting together my shopping list.

I have a lathe and milling machine, so I can fabricate some stuff. I see from the forum that you have made some Delrin nuts to use with the drive rods. Looking at Google, Delrin seems to come only in round rod or flat sheets. Do you make your nuts from sheet and cut to size, or do you have a source for rectangular Delrin?

I am also trying to sort out the guide rods for the various axis. Marchant Dice do a kit of parts, but the rods and bushes are metric, I can only find large diameter imperial router bits (from Axminster tools), did you use metric bushes and find a metric router bit for your Rockcliff?

It is great having a UK forum, to be able to track down UK suppliers.

Many thanks

Kevin
    Hi Kevin,

Yea I work from sheets of delrin, works out cheaper buying it in that way.

You can find a few sellers on eBay selling off-cuts of delrin fairly cheaply if you want to make some. Rectangular Delrin would be a good point to make though, would save me running it all down on the table saw: D.

No, I used 1/2" Round Rail on mine, they also come with the bushings to match.

Do not go anything under 16mm for your rails on your Rockcliff, my machine may as well be a paper weight.

The 1/2" rails are far too small to do anything substantial, the machine may as well be a PCB machine only. I won’t comment on Dice's 20 years+ of engineering experience that should have told him 1/2" on such a machine was just not viable. O well you live and learn, make of it what you will.

I can supply you with metric or imperial bushings/rails, if you want to send me a PM i can get you some prices.
    .Me

What sort of price is 18mm 3/4inch MDF at the moment?

5. Quote Originally Posted by No1_sonuk View Post
    What sort of price is 18mm 3/4inch MDF at the moment?
    607mm x 1220mmx18mm in B&Q is £10.79 plus 4 free cuts.

2440mm x 1220mmx18mm is £14.99 plus 4 free cuts.

2440mm x 1220mmx25mm is £21.68 plus 4 free cuts (in you can find one that stocks it).

Having looked at the price of ground steel and oilite bushes at £60+, together with a 20mm router bit, I am beginning to think that I might modify the Rockcliff type C using 20mm rails, support pillars and pillow blocks from Zap, they aren't much dearer, and would probably be easier to fix in place and align.

Hi Lee,

I've read through this interesting (old) thread and wondered if you managed to finish the machine and if you did how useful you found the machine to be.

Does it do what you wanted and is it fairly accurate?

I'm planning my first build but don't know whether to jump in with both feet and build a big (expensive) aluminium job straight away or do a cheaper MDF one to get a grip on it. There's so much to learn.

I want my machine to work wood and make a lot of items which I hope to sell to earn much-needed money so the machine will have to do some production work.

Many thanks.

Just bought a part finished Rockliff D with a working size of approx. 900mm x 600mm not sure of the Z. The guy who I bought it from had to give up the workshop that he had. I have taken it apart and propose to strengthen it in various ways in the hope of getting a bit of speed from it. I'm using 4no. 270oz Nema 23s driving M8 threaded stainless steel rod for screws. I am making some anti backlash nuts although I'm not looking for super accuracy. My reason for contacting was to ask if Lee Roberts ever finished his Rockliff as I can't find any trace of it.

I built a JGRO design from MDF a few years ago. I won't talk about strength issues here, but using around 900mm M10 threaded rod as a leadscrew (with Delrin anti-backlash nuts) I find that I'm limited to around 900mm/min top speed on the X axis. This is down to leadscrew whip. The JGRO only has a single X leadscrew but that won't make any difference to leadscrew critical speed. If you want it to go faster, use a bigger leadscrew. Bigger diameter means higher rotational speed possible as well as coarser pitch for more speed at same revs. 3nm Nema 23 seems more than adequate to drive it.

Thanks for the info, a bit dumb of me not to realise the bigger the dia. the faster it goes. I am currently looking at extending the X and Y screws and to fit another bearing support about 100-150mm further forward with a rubber doughnut damper. From what I read this can have a good effect on speed and reduces whip considerably. Any thoughts?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information