. .
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    phew! I'm pleased to hear you say that jazz! Is just me being far too ambitious with it. I will have another play tomorrow night and get those speeds down. what kind of speed would be a conservative setting? also this may sound stupid. I can change the feed speed whilst cutting in vectric whilst setting up my toolpath. Is there a separate option in maxh to adjust the rapid movements in between cuts? or is this dictated purely by feed settings? guessing there's something in mach3 for this?

Thanks again and appreciate your opinion jazz. was beginning to feel open wallet surgery about to take place ;-) .

thank you

Rapid speed is the Velocity setting in Motor tuning.
    If you watch the video it stalls while cutting not rapiding between moves so I think if you tweak the Accel first and lower the feed while cutting then you'll be ok.
    Basically it's stalling under the cutting load which isn't much at this depth but your feed rate is so fast your at the limits of the motors torque so it doesn't take much to make stall.

Just drop the Accel by 10% and try again.

What feed rate was it set at while cutting.?

Edit: If you want to test and see the affects of lowering feedrate without altering anything, machine or G-code, then just lower the feed rate over ride to 75% and try it again.!
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 14-01-2014 at 12:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by itsmillertime View Post
    phew! I'm pleased to hear you say that jazz! Is just me being far too ambitious with it. I will have another play tomorrow night and get those speeds down. what kind of speed would be a conservative setting? also this may sound stupid. I can change the feed speed whilst cutting in vectric whilst setting up my toolpath. Is there a separate option in maxh to adjust the rapid movements in between cuts? or is this dictated purely by feed settings? guessing there's something in mach3 for this?
    Just for the sake of clarity Velocity and Accel are two different settings in Mach they are in config\motor tuning. Not to be confused with each other Jazz is referring to the Accel setting that might be a bit too high. Good luck I am sure you will get this sorted. ..Clive

The way i think of it is, the Acceleration and Velocity settings in Mach act like your speed limiter, they over-ride whatever settings the CAM software specifies in the job.

Its also critical (although I cannot explain why) to ensure the Acceleration and Velocity settings are the same for both your Y axis and X axis. (Z can be different) Otherwise (I found) it effects 90deg corners. Where (I think) the machine is still decelerating (moving) when the next move starts

Personally (others will disagree, I set the accelleration very low (often 100), and the velocity to a comfortable speed for the machine as Im far more interested in quality, than speed) I also find having acceleration set so low helps when jogging your machine manually into a start position and also makes a nice smooth start and stop to each move.

As mentioned above, Mach is your speed limit. So if you have set your velocity to 6000mm/min in mach, and your tool to 8000mm/min in vectric (or your cam software) mach wont let the machine exceed 6000.

The machine jogs (ie with the arrow keys, at the maximum speed stated in mach)
    The machine moves (between cuts, at whatever speed the Gcode outputted by your cam software) -- but limited by mach.

The above is just my opinion.

You're noticing the variable corner rounding effect because the acceleration is too low. You should be aiming for around 1000mm/s^2 for the acceleration - certainly at least 500... otherwise in some circumstances your parts wont be as accurate.
    Last edited by Jonathan; 15-01-2014 at 09:35 AM.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Lives in Plymouth, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,729. Received thanks 295 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    Isn't there also a gcode parameter which affects accuracy at corners? You can either specify stop/start for maximum accuracy but lose feed rate at corners, or give a maximum error value so that Mach or LinuxCNC can approximate the corner to maintain cutting speed. Coupled with a max acceleration figure, it can all start getting a bit complicated.

thanks for this boys....although since I have set the two the same this no longer happens... not to cloud the issue... its still good practise to ensure the acceleration and velocity values for both the X & Y are the same right or wrong?

Matt just going to make some things a bit clearer for sake of others not picking on you here mate but it's not clear and your Soooooo wrong on some it. .

Quote Originally Posted by kingcreaky View Post
    The way i think of it is, the Acceleration and Velocity settings in Mach act like your speed limiter, they over-ride whatever settings the CAM software specifies in the job.

As mentioned above, Mach is your speed limit. So if you have set your velocity to 6000mm/min in mach, and your tool to 8000mm/min in vectric (or your cam software) mach wont let the machine exceed 6000.

The machine jogs (ie with the arrow keys, at the maximum speed stated in mach)
    The machine moves (between cuts, at whatever speed the Gcode outputted by your cam software) -- but limited by mach.
    This is true but I'll make it clearer because it does apply here.

In the G-code this will only apply to the G1 moves which have F### feed rate parameter but all G0 moves will be at the Velocity setting in motor tuning. So if your over tuned on velocity then you will still lose position if G0 moves are in the g-code even if you lower the feedrate in Cam software.!

Quote Originally Posted by kingcreaky View Post
    Its also critical (although I cannot explain why) to ensure the Acceleration and Velocity settings are the same for both your Y axis and X axis. (Z can be different) Otherwise (I found) it effects 90deg corners. Where (I think) the machine is still decelerating (moving) when the next move starts

Personally (others will disagree, I set the accelleration very low (often 100), and the velocity to a comfortable speed for the machine as Im far more interested in quality, than speed) I also find having acceleration set so low helps when jogging your machine manually into a start position and also makes a nice smooth start and stop to each move.
    This is the bit your Sooooo wrong about matt... .Lol

It's not critical and perfectly fine to have differant setting for each axis, Mach will only go fast has the slowest axis anyway when moving 2 axis at same time. Try it.!! . . Double the Speed of Y axis velocity (if machine can do it) and home the machine and jog away good distance and Type G1 X0 Y0 F ( Feed value abobe X axis velocity or same has Y axis velocity) in the MDI box.

Like Jonathan pointed out most if not all of trouble is coming from having the Accel far far to low.
    Molasses moves faster than that so MAch's gets tired of waitng and Knobs off to the pub for a quicky but has few too many so when it gets back it's forgot where it was upto and thinks bollocks to it i'll just carry on from here and that's why your getting square circles.!!. . . . Mach pissed.!! . .Lol . . . . Ok well maybe being bit silly but the point is your messed up on tuning.!

You really want to be within 500-800 just for normal use and 1000 and above this if doing mostly 3D type work.
    Just remember the golden rule that you can't have High Accel and High Velocity you need a balance and you won't go wrong.

removes hat. Thanks for taking the time to clarify.
    Last edited by kingcreaky; 15-01-2014 at 10:41 AM.

wow, thanks guys for all the info. I'm at work at the moment but late last night I had a quick look at the settings and my velocity looks way too high. I have found someone elses motor settings for the 6040 machine and Mine is at least 25‰ greater! no wonder why I'm having issues. I'm going to get in tonight change the settings and report back. Thanks to you all for your input. will be good to see this fixed lol. got my fingers crossed for tonight. I will screenshot the settings for anyone else with a similar machine should this quandry happen for others.

I'm sure I won't be the first ;-) cheers guys

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information