. .
    Evening all,

Just in case you haven't seen these, here is a vid of the 3 "new" 3D Printers from Makerbot

CES 2014: MakerBot's 3 New Replicator 3D Printers:

Although there are only really 2 properly new models here, I think its showing the technology getting more "consumer" oriented.

Personally I still think these are somewhat over priced and I'll definitely be looking at the laser/resin type (oh for a sub £2000 DLMS machine) if they ever make it to market, but interesting still.
    Last edited by Lee Roberts; 14-01-2014 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Added vid.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Washout For This Useful Post:

I think it is strange that no one saw them working, actually producing things

I agree. 3D printer companies seem to overprice their machines. I think in this time of financial downturn, we need more economical 3D printers that work wonderfully great. Mine are just assembled 3D printer kits. By using 3D2print filaments, I easily 3D print kitchen wares, toys and small items in just an hour. Building your own 3D printing machine is very ideal in home, offices and schools.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyG View Post
    I think it is strange that no one saw them working, actually producing things
    Obviously fans of Blue Peter - "Here's one we made earlier - " ;-)

- Nick

They have been shipping now for a week or two now and the posts on the Google groups are mostly not positive.
    A lot of the new features are not working or implemented in the firmware and that's after users have updated it in order to get them to print at all.
    One of the posts I read was from someone who asked for a sample print before ordering, he was sent a sample from a Rep2 as apparently there is no difference in quality.
    Maybe the Blue Peter ones were from a Rep2 as well.

Bre Pettis looks like a bit of a comedian, or is he smirking 'cos he's sold a load of partially functional product and has bought a new yacht with the proceeds? ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    Bre Pettis looks like a bit of a comedian, or is he smirking 'cos he's sold a load of partially functional product and has bought a new yacht with the proceeds? ;-)
    And here I was thinking he was a used car salesman!

I guess the advent of 3D printing also entails capitalism. Business is business, but what we need now are "affordable" 3D printer for the masses, right? The new Makerbot‘s 3 Replicator 3D printer isn’t quite practical for individual hobbyists. If you’re planning to purchase one, you can opt for simple kits like PrintrBot Simple which runs in at just £300 including VAT. A good find for me because it supported our 3D2print plastic PLA filament supplies.

Hi Peter
    That's an interesting option (PrintrBot) http://printrbot.com/ - thanks.
    I think there's a need for a thread with a list of manufacturers in this section, as the number of 3DPrinter sellers seems to be growing rapidly.
    Personally I'm still on the fence about building my own from something like aluminium extrusion, steppers, ballscrews etc., similar in concept to my CNC Router or just jumping straight into a commercial machine, but will be looking for a decent sized print volume (500x500x500mm), heated bed, etc. etc. or I'll probably end up upgrading the thing with self made/upgraded parts anyway. The thing putting me off of the latter option is that the Form 1+ seems to be shipping and the higher resolution of laser/resin technology is very appealing.
    Whatever the opinions on Makerbots, they have probably done more than most to promote the concept of "consumer" level 3D Printing into the marketplace and hence the interest in their progress.
    Cheers
    Chris

Thread Information