. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Okay,

John, if you are connected to DIYCNC let them know the order has been placed. A big thanks for the information from MotionControl and will be looking at your equipment in the future but the budget dictated another direction. I still have 20+ square feet of leather to pay for and 400+ custom springs (You would not believe the amount of parts that go into a concertina).

Michael

I'll second that John's recommendation.

First rate service and very well designed hardware.

Roy seems a really nice bloke too, fixed the Optoport I blew up and didn't charge me anything, even posted it back to me free too.

Michael, so do you make the accordions from start to finish or just supply parts?

Jeff.
    Nothing is foolproof......to a sufficiently talented fool!

3. Quote Originally Posted by Smiler View Post
    I'll second that John's recommendation.

First rate service and very well designed hardware.

Roy seems a really nice bloke too, fixed the Optoport I blew up and didn't charge me anything, even posted it back to me free too.

Michael, so do you make the accordions from start to finish or just supply parts?

Jeff.
    I Make concertinas from start to finish of the hybrid type (accordion reed plates not tradational English reed shoes or German long reed plates). I also build custom harmonicas from either Seydel based parts or the model parts the customer wishes when possible to acquire them. I can build a Chromatic from the reed plate up using Seydel reeds and cutting the plates myself (gets costly but alot more control in ridgeness of the plate and creating that exact tuning a player wants)

On the Accordion front I tune, repair, restore but don't build new ones myself. I can also supply parts to a few different types and can do reed replacement with a few different makers reed types.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by m.marino View Post
    Okay,

John, if you are connected to DIYCNC let them know the order has been placed. A big thanks for the information from MotionControl and will be looking at your equipment in the future but the budget dictated another direction. I still have 20+ square feet of leather to pay for and 400+ custom springs (You would not believe the amount of parts that go into a concertina).

Michael
    Not connected in any way just a satisfied customer and I would believe how many parts goes into a concertina.
    I use to build special purpose machines for the piano action industry, when someone tells you they have to bore up to 14,000 holes per day in wood to a 1/2 thou tolerance, they are not joking.

John S.

5. John,

My tolerances vary but can get vary hairy in a few spots. In a few spots it needs to be .01 of a mm and a few others .5mm is okay and will not effect play, fit, or finish. I prefer to keep it all tight though and right now going to be doing some experiemtnation with finishes to slow/stop shrinkage of the reed-pan/mechanism plate as that will add to the life span of the instrument (hey, they are already built to last about 100 years, minus the bellows, whats another one or two hundred to shoot for).

Bellows are the one weak point in modern concertinas. They will with time fail, but must well built ones will take 10 years minimum of hard daily play before doing so. With modern Phosphor bronze you can even make "brass" reeded ones that have a reed lifespan of at least 50 years soyou get the idea.

Once I get this contract closed am looking at setting up one CNC router to start making conertina reed shoes and talking to a few german firms I know to tongue them with either stainless steel reeds or with modern "brass" so that I can offer tradionally reeded instruments to the purist (It also allows me to make much smaller instruments, as I can than set the reeds in on a radial pattern instead of parallel).

Once the boards get here and bedded in with some test runs, I also am cutting some custom combs for a Suzuki that I own to make it more air tight and building my version of a slideless chromatic harmonica based off of Vern Smith's design, with some changes to decrease air loss in a few spots and mill some custom covers for it and also for the Hands Free Chromatic of Vern's that I own.

So you can see trying to keep busy as the body heals (just healing a good bit slower than I want myself too).

Michael

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information