. .

Thread: Stone Machine

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    meshcam is a good example because it lets you play about with machine settings to visualise how the final cut will look, and the cutting strategy program is very easy to understand, and allows you to visualise the cutting paths. i have looked at but not used sheetcam and some of the other more complex softwares, even to the very expensive. They all have a massive learning curve. whereas, if you cutting/profiling stone, especialy complex 2.5 D profiling into stone, mesh cam is very easy to learn

Wow this going to be quite some project. What is the spindle/cutting tool like, does it uses fluted router bits to actually cut the stone or does it grind away at it with an abrasive stone. What horse power will the motor need to be.

There is a chap close to me who does a lot of work with cnc stone cutting, his machine hangs down from the ceiling and I think I remember some of the axis being belt driven?

Good luck
    Last edited by gavztheouch; 29-01-2014 at 12:31 AM.
    CNC routing and prototyping services www.cncscotland.co.uk

ADD ME ON FACEBOOKS

Ill def have a look at the software most software ive used is for 2D I have to jump,,, My original intention was to build a machine 2 metres x 1 metre with a 200 Z but found my budget is better than I thought so Bigger it goes,,There are various long V cutting bits for granite now on the Market But a decent 3KW spindle will cut through anything as long as the feed rate is correct Gooing to 4.5 KW or higher doesn't make much difference these are usually to drive Long bits or large blades.. Diamond has a finite working speed if too high it burnishes the Bits exactly the same as Using Carbide bits on granite and polishes the diamond flat.. the only machines ive seen belt driven are small 2D cutters.

Hi

a decent 3KW spindle will cut through anything as long as the feed rate is correct Gooing to 4.5 KW or higher doesn't make much difference these are usually to drive Long bits or large blades
    spindles have efficiency curves, a lot of the 2.2 - 3 kw ones are tuned to perform between 18000 and 22000 rpm, below that speed, they don't have enough torque,

Diamond has a finite working speed if too high it burnishes the Bits exactly the same as Using Carbide bits on granite and polishes the diamond flat.
    a lot of the stone bits are low rpm, and some of the spindle i have looked at are High kw but have the torque at lower rpms, its one of the reasons i was considering a belt driven spindle, or a servo as a spindle, i still haven't made my mind up yet.

I understand the Torque reduces. and slower Cutting speeds are needed for harder stones. so faster cutting speed is not a good idea .
    there are many types of stone grinding spindles 3KW Grinding spindles at 5000 RPM are available which means Oceans of clean cold water any loss of water means a new Grinding bit .
    Though I have been quite surprised as of looking at the Technology of some of these spindles many are designed grind and polish through Granite worktops with high KW spindles. so wouldn't have a problem with Sandstone or limestones. such as Portland, Purbeck and soft stones like Ham and Bathstone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information