. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
    Before buying second hand, always reference the serial number of the machine with the manufacturer. This will at least tell you if it has been regularly serviced.
    Thanks Peter, is it your experience that manufacturers will tell you the service details of machine? I had presumed that most would be too busy.
    Best Regards Sarah

Whilst the manufacturer will probably be quite helpful, they would also like to build up a relationship with you in the hope of selling you an upgrade or even a new machine. After the first user, it is likely that the 2nd or any subsequent user has not used the manufacturer for routine servicing, but that does not mean that the machine has not been regularly maintained. As a general rule I think that the condition and price will be your best guide - if a machine is really cheap, be aware that you may have to spend some money on it. I bought an older "scruffy" cnc router (spares or repair) and it is now back in everyday use and doing a good job. A new machine would have been far nicer, but a. funds were not available and b. the work would never have justified the expense.
    As you intend to do mainly 3d work, the newer machines are likely to be far more suitable due to much improved software and modern electronics. G.
    Last edited by GEOFFREY; 23-01-2014 at 03:21 PM. Reason: mis spelling

3. The Following User Says Thank You to GEOFFREY For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sarahloyd View Post
    Thanks Peter, is it your experience that manufacturers will tell you the service details of machine? I had presumed that most would be too busy.
    Best Regards Sarah
    In the past we have done this with Matsuura,Mazak & Bridgeport all have been very accommodating.

Thanks again Peter, this is really helpful to know.
    Best Regards Sarah

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information