. .
    I am using Deskproto CAM to try and make a raised relief map. When I generate toolpaths I notice that it automatically creates the vertical sidewalls of the model, when I want it to simply machine the top surface relief and leave the sidewalls alone.

Any ideas how I would instruct a CAM program to leave the sidewalls alone?

Here is a little screen shot to illustrate. Thanks in advance. Chris

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	300 
Size:	270.3 KB 
ID:	11386

draw a box on your model that describes the outer limits of the drawing to use to reference the outer limit in CAM.
    you may need to make the box just large enough to allow the tool to clear the top edges but not quite large enough to allow the tool to fit down twixt the box and the model edges.

there is likely a way of instructing your CAM package to do this in a simpler way but i do not know your cam package so you may have to "wing" it with a bit of trail and error.

Thanks for the reply. The trouble is that I am only using the CAD program (Blender) as a throughput to change file types and do a bit of scaling. That is the limit of my know-how with that program and, being lazy, I am looking for a shortcut to avoid having to learn it properly just for a simple function like this.
    I guess I am hoping there will be a simple instruction in the CAM program to just machine the top face, if anyone knows. Presumably this instruction is common to most CAM software?

Is it Ennerdale ?

You need to define a boundry.! . . . . A quick lok at the manual shows me it's in the part parameters under Segmant.!! . . . .So my answer is RTFM.

Sorted it via the deskproto forum thanks. If anyone's interested it's; operation parameters - borders - no extra.
    Eddy it's Bass.

Thread Information