. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi, I'm after 100mmx100mm 6mm aluminium plate/sheet, but I need a good grade for machining which I cant find on ebay. I may need 2. If you have any let me know! :)

Thanks

Please see our online shop,:

Aluminium small plate 6mm thick

As well as running KB Aluminium, I am also UK marketing manager for Motedis. If you need anything else or have any questions please PM me.

Regards,

Kris

I have some im getting rid of, all offcuts and new material if you still need any. Its 6062 plate and the most common machining grade. Please feel free to pm me.

Kind regards

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	material.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	11502

Lives in Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 30-03-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 491. Received thanks 71 times, giving thanks to others 29 times.
    Hi Kris,

I'm also in the market for some alu plate - I had a quick look at your site and you certainly have the sizes I'm after, but the plate is listed as DIN EN AW-5083 - which, if I understand correctly, is a poor grade for machining..? Do you stock 6082 in the smaller sizes?

Quote Originally Posted by KB Aluminium View Post
    Please see our online shop,:

Aluminium small plate 6mm thick

As well as running KB Aluminium, I am also UK marketing manager for Motedis. If you need anything else or have any questions please PM me.

Regards,

Kris

Wal 5083 Machines fine those that have trouble machining it are cutting it wrong.!

Lives in Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 30-03-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 491. Received thanks 71 times, giving thanks to others 29 times.
    Fair enough Jazz, I was just going off the Aalco datasheets:

Aluminium Alloy - Commercial Alloy - 5083 - 0~H111

...but will trust your expertise and experience and give it a whirl - any hot tips? (No end-mill pun intended).

Wal.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 23 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Wal For your information there is a company in Hazel Grove, Stockport. Aluminium rolled plate & sheet | Metal Web | UK metals stockholder and processor.

This is where I bought by ali from I ordered it and collected a couple of days later. At the time the price was about the same as AW Like all these places they have offcuts that you can buy without the cutting charge if you ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Wal View Post
    Fair enough Jazz, I was just going off the Aalco datasheets:

Aluminium Alloy - Commercial Alloy - 5083 - 0~H111

...but will trust your expertise and experience and give it a whirl - any hot tips? (No end-mill pun intended).

Wal.
    Wal While 6 series does machine better I've never had any trouble machining 5083 series but some grades do machine better than others. The 5083 '0' plate Ali warehouse sells which is a lower grade machines fine. The H22/4 types are better.
    I know Metalweb keep H22 because several months ago I machined Gantry sides, Z axis etc for someone and it came from them. To be honest couldn't tell much differance to 6082.!!
    Avoid 5005 '0' if possible because that can be a little gummy and hard work.

Nothing special to machining it just plenty of air/coolant and use good cutters. Can't really advise on cutting settings has I tend to use Rippers for roughing and straight flute for Finishing so unless you work similair then won't be much use to you. Also each machine as there own sweet spots so you'll need to play to find what suits your machine best.?
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 04-02-2014 at 11:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wal View Post
    Hi Kris,

I'm also in the market for some alu plate - I had a quick look at your site and you certainly have the sizes I'm after, but the plate is listed as DIN EN AW-5083 - which, if I understand correctly, is a poor grade for machining..? Do you stock 6082 in the smaller sizes?
    Hi,

I will try to find out if we can get the 6082 for you. I am still finding my feet at Motedis and getting familiar with the shop system. I will PM you if I get any news for you.

Regards,

Kris
    Last edited by KB Aluminium; 04-02-2014 at 11:56 PM.

Thanks Kris,

Can't say fairer than that! Much obliged.

Wal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information