. .
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Back to the Potential fire and E-stop then I've seen Larger machines use a Rope E-stop with rope that runs around the machine that can be pulled from anywhere on the machine and activate the E-stop.!!

Oh by the way I'd already seen these pics fews weeks ago and asked Jim if he'd please post because it's important to show just how powerful and potentially dangerous even small machines can be.
    I see it often people saying " Not botherd about E-stop because the steppers will stall or spindle will stall " or " I'll just switch it off at the wall" but they don't realise the full power even medium torque steppers can have when attached to ballscrews or how like a startled rabbit your froze on the spot for what seems like minutes but is nano seconds and by the time your brains recovered from the shock and told your arm to do something it's all just too late.!!
    It's not until you actualy have some thing like this happen or see stationery 12mm cutter punch a hole thru 30mm of bed like it was punching butter do you stand back and say "OH SHITE".!!

So thanks for sharing Jim and Boy's he deserves some Thank's so get clicking. .
    Thanks jazz, I was (am!) amazed how powerful my steppers/ballscrews are. I tried putting all my weight on my machine and couldn't see much movement at all so seeing the machine bend as much as it did was a big surprise!

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Back to the Potential fire and E-stop then I've seen Larger machines use a Rope E-stop with rope that runs around the machine that can be pulled from anywhere on the machine and activate the E-stop.!!
    I've install many a mile of trip wire on conveyor belt systems, it used to make great washing lines for my Mother too.

So I have finally got round to taking my spindle apart to check the bearings and I am a bit stuck...

All has come apart fine except for the black part that connect to the main silver body. I have removed the screws but it will not budge

Any ideas?
    (I will try and post some pics tonight)

Jim
    Last edited by cncJim; 07-02-2014 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cncJim View Post
    All has come apart fine except for the black part that connect to the main silver body. I have removed the screws but it will not budge
    That's the bit the water hoses and connector go into? If so then it will come off after removing the screws, however they can just be tight. If there's any gap between the black part and the water jacket you may be able to carefully tap a flat screwdriver in and pry it off. If that doesn't work you'll have to try something more imaginative, possibly involving a hammer...
    Watch out for the O-rings beneath the coolant hose barbs - you don't want to loose them.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    That's the bit the water hoses and connector go into? If so then it will come off after removing the screws, however they can just be tight. If there's any gap between the black part and the water jacket you may be able to carefully tap a flat screwdriver in and pry it off. If that doesn't work you'll have to try something more imaginative, possibly involving a hammer...
    Watch out for the O-rings beneath the coolant hose barbs - you don't want to loose them.
    Sorry Jonathan, its the other end (tool end) - connector end came off fine (I lost the o rings.....twice!), and removed the large bolt with the reversed thread but the black part on the tool side wont move....

That's OK - you only have to remove the black part nearest the tool. The other one can stay. If you undo the nut on the tool end, which is a normal right hand thread, then you should be able to see the bearings and pull the shaft out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000898_small.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	155.3 KB 
ID:	11536
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jonathan For This Useful Post:

ahh ok - I will give that a try tonight, cheers!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information