Quote Originally Posted by Lee Roberts View Post
Well, sorry to read the bad news Jim.

I'm in the process of getting everything together that I will need to build my new (first time) workshop at the bottom of the garden, materials mostly as I've got all the tools now. I cant help thinking how gutted I would be if it went up in smoke (timber frame, will basically be a shed). Cant help but think you've been lucky Jim, we should all start advising smoke alarms and extinguishers to new builds at least.

Take care guys, I'm glad your safe Jim.

.Me
Thanks - Even worse, my garage is part of the house! I wonder what the insurance vultures would have made of it if it all went up?

Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
Lucky escape ! do you think the spindle lower bearings are cooked ? I'm thinking about the grease in them for one thing.
Regarding the E/Stop, I got one of those ready assembled ones in yellow plastic box and I'm thinking about putting a length of CY cable to it, securing a strong magnet to the bottom, thus allowing it to be moved to various positions around the machine depending upon what I'm regarding as the current 'best position'.
Good thought, must admit I don't know. I did fire up the spindle (no pun intended!) after and it sounded fine, well, sounded as it did before at least (only tried one speed though). Would there be any tell tail sign to look out for?

Quote Originally Posted by Web Goblin View Post
One thing I've always had in the workshop is a fire extinguisher. You got away with this one.
It looks like from the picture that the spindle clamp is tightened right up till the faces meet. If this is so then the clamp isn't right, there should still be a bit if a gap between the faces. This allows the clamp to fully tighten on the spindle.
Good spot - Your right I don't think there is a gap at all on either clamp. I haden't really thought about that. I guess the easiest thing would be take 1 or 2mm off the clamp?