. .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    So I was making a nice little decorative wooden doo-dad for my brother's birthday at the start of the year. Computer told me it would take 90 minutes so I decided to step out and check back every 10 minutes or so......hmmmm....not one of my best ideas!

The next time I go to the garage I am met by thick smoke which started to burn my eyes! Over to the machine I run fumbling for the estop.

Once the smoke cleared (35 minutes!) I took a look at what had happened.

Turns out the z axis coupling had come loose and the whole spindle had dropped into the work piece. The v bit I was using cut through the 15mm oak workpiece, a 10mm bit of sacrificial pine and the 25mm mdf bed But the thing that surprised me was that the spindle collet nut had also managed to "mill" through the above mentioned wood!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20140104_15_51_46_Pro.jpg 
Views:	390 
Size:	435.3 KB 
ID:	11354Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20140104_15_54_08_Pro.jpg 
Views:	424 
Size:	282.5 KB 
ID:	11355Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140104_155613000_iOS.jpg 
Views:	368 
Size:	372.6 KB 
ID:	11356Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20140104_15_54_56_Pro.jpg 
Views:	414 
Size:	828.2 KB 
ID:	11357Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20140104_16_00_24_Pro.jpg 
Views:	383 
Size:	340.0 KB 
ID:	11358

I tightened the grub screw on the z axis and tried to move the spindle up - this is where my new found respect for the power of the stepper motors coupled to ballscrews came from - The spindle was stuck fast. As I tried to raise the z the spindle stayed put and the whole machine flexed like a banana! Now I'm the first to admit that my machine is no heavy weight (x - 25mm unsupported | y - 20mm unsupported | z - 20mm unsupported) but I thought the steppers would have stalled before the frame tried to fold in half!

I do feel lucky though, I'm sure I was seconds from a fire starting and I am glad I at least had an estop button, can't imagine how long it would have taken to find the mouse and try and find the estop button in mach!

Thinking back I remember looking at the first cuts it was making thinking it didn't look 100%. I put it down to me not setting my z zero correctly (just started using a probe to set z) and thought I would let it run and investigate it after. Should have seen the signs!!!!

I have now placed a smoke alarm and fire extinguisher in the garage!!!!!
    Last edited by cncJim; 24-01-2014 at 04:46 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to cncJim For This Useful Post:

Well, sorry to read the bad news Jim.

I'm in the process of getting everything together that I will need to build my new (first time) workshop at the bottom of the garden, materials mostly as I've got all the tools now. I cant help thinking how gutted I would be if it went up in smoke (timber frame, will basically be a shed). Cant help but think you've been lucky Jim, we should all start advising smoke alarms and extinguishers to new builds at least.

Take care guys, I'm glad your safe Jim.

.Me
    .Me

Lucky escape ! do you think the spindle lower bearings are cooked ? I'm thinking about the grease in them for one thing.
    Regarding the E/Stop, I got one of those ready assembled ones in yellow plastic box and I'm thinking about putting a length of CY cable to it, securing a strong magnet to the bottom, thus allowing it to be moved to various positions around the machine depending upon what I'm regarding as the current 'best position'.

One thing I've always had in the workshop is a fire extinguisher. You got away with this one.
    It looks like from the picture that the spindle clamp is tightened right up till the faces meet. If this is so then the clamp isn't right, there should still be a bit if a gap between the faces. This allows the clamp to fully tighten on the spindle.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Roberts View Post
    Well, sorry to read the bad news Jim.

I'm in the process of getting everything together that I will need to build my new (first time) workshop at the bottom of the garden, materials mostly as I've got all the tools now. I cant help thinking how gutted I would be if it went up in smoke (timber frame, will basically be a shed). Cant help but think you've been lucky Jim, we should all start advising smoke alarms and extinguishers to new builds at least.

Take care guys, I'm glad your safe Jim.

.Me
    Thanks - Even worse, my garage is part of the house! I wonder what the insurance vultures would have made of it if it all went up?

Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    Lucky escape ! do you think the spindle lower bearings are cooked ? I'm thinking about the grease in them for one thing.
    Regarding the E/Stop, I got one of those ready assembled ones in yellow plastic box and I'm thinking about putting a length of CY cable to it, securing a strong magnet to the bottom, thus allowing it to be moved to various positions around the machine depending upon what I'm regarding as the current 'best position'.
    Good thought, must admit I don't know. I did fire up the spindle (no pun intended!) after and it sounded fine, well, sounded as it did before at least (only tried one speed though). Would there be any tell tail sign to look out for?

Quote Originally Posted by Web Goblin View Post
    One thing I've always had in the workshop is a fire extinguisher. You got away with this one.
    It looks like from the picture that the spindle clamp is tightened right up till the faces meet. If this is so then the clamp isn't right, there should still be a bit if a gap between the faces. This allows the clamp to fully tighten on the spindle.
    Good spot - Your right I don't think there is a gap at all on either clamp. I haden't really thought about that. I guess the easiest thing would be take 1 or 2mm off the clamp?

I'm not sure you could tell if the bearings were affected, even if you took it apart they might be sealed for life type, I don't know. If they are sealed type then the seal itself might have been affected. Of course you would find out if they started to fail.
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 24-01-2014 at 05:54 PM.

Yes get the faces of the clamp reduced a bit. As you say about 2mm would probably do the job but check it again after its done.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Web Goblin For This Useful Post:

I would be concerned for the spindle bearings. From your photo is looks like things got hot enough to discolor the collet? If so then I expect the bearings would have got very hot as there's not much distance between the collet and the bearings.

The bearings on my spindle do have seals, although due to being high speed bearings they rely more on the labyrinth seal. These pictures should give you an idea what to expect:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000894 (Large).JPG 
Views:	432 
Size:	137.5 KB 
ID:	11359Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000908 (Large).JPG 
Views:	490 
Size:	149.7 KB 
ID:	11360Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000899 (Large).JPG 
Views:	436 
Size:	147.4 KB 
ID:	11361Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000947 (Large).JPG 
Views:	430 
Size:	124.4 KB 
ID:	11362

If this had happened to me I'd definitely dismantle the spindle and have a look at the bearings. It's not too difficult to disassemble the spindle - the only difficult bit is removing the nut on the collet end. You might be fine as it is, or you might find the oil/grease has burnt away and the bearings fail in a few months.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    I have a bathroom isolation switch pull cord running the length of the back wall which will shut off all power to the garage and an RCD box just for the garage by the door next to the fire extinguisher.

Not needed either yet but I like the "plan for the worst hope for the best" approach.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 20 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    How about a smoke detector connected to a contactor to turn of power to router etc. ..Clive

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information