I would like to introduce you to the diy pick and place machine which I have been working on with my brother for the past year.

The machine is driven via the Mach 3 API using a custom .Net windows app via a SmoothStepper Ethernet interface for driving the main stepper motors and I also use an Atmel microcontroller to drive a stepper motor for the component picker system.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pnp.jpg 
Views:	1060 
Size:	506.7 KB 
ID:	11410

The machine had to fit into a small space in my loft workshop and contain all the power and drive system within its own footprint.

Name:	lots-of-wires.jpg 
Views:	1027 
Size:	363.6 KB 
ID:	11411

The chip feeder is a vibration design using a vibration motor from an xbox game controller.

Name:	chip-feeder-complete.jpg 
Views:	1037 
Size:	206.2 KB 
ID:	11412

The tape fed components are supplied via modified panasonic feeders (cheap via ebay) and is actuated via an air ram.

Name:	12-feeder-actuator-v3.jpg 
Views:	1173 
Size:	175.3 KB 
ID:	11413

The pnp machine has two picker heads driven by NEMA 8 motors.

Name:	picker-motors.jpg 
Views:	1894 
Size:	223.9 KB 
ID:	11414

The first version of the controller system used 7 different control boards and we have just finished an upgrade to make a single USB host control board which uses a Microchip PIC as the USB host and this controls the vacuum valves, led lighting for the camera module and head led, vibration motor control and communicates via I2C to an Atmel processor which drives the picker head system.

Name:	finishedboard.jpg 
Views:	841 
Size:	223.0 KB 
ID:	11415

The new control board has in circuit programming ports so the code can easily be changed if needed.

Name:	programming-the-atmel.jpg 
Views:	842 
Size:	368.8 KB 
ID:	11416

Full details with photos and videos are on my project blog at Brian Dorey.com | DIY Pick and Place and i have a lot of videos of the project on my YouTube channel Brian Dorey - YouTube