. .
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Still yet to fully design the Y and Z axis, planning to use 16mm rails for both and a basic leadscrew system...

Trying to keep costs to a minimum whilst using premium parts so that they can be reused at a later date when I update the system.

Anyone experience with running 2 steppers on a single axis? I'm assuming I can run a 4 axis controller and use mach3's stepper synch functions.

Well I have 4 steppers, so might as well set the system up to use them..

As for the router suggestion, I would do that, however my router collet doesn't grip the bit at the moment so I can achieve a good cut as after a short distance the bit will slide out.

My hand isn't stable enough to cut straight with a jigsaw, and there is no immediate rush.

I have seen that before, and the theory of 2 steppers on a single axis seems fairly simple since the steppers will give mach3 feedback and error correction.

All I need to confirm is that a 4 axis stepper controller will be able to run 2 steppers on the X axis.

I also need to sort out power supplies... How much wattage am I going to need.... Dont you love electronics :P

I'll be alright, play it safe and get something with more than enough power...

Depends on what controller I go for...

I was thinking about using the routoutcnc boards or even taking a jump in the deep end and use a 4axis board from china...

Although I cant find much feedback on those for obvious reasons.

Had some free time away from baby this morning so I cracked on!

Decided to get a shift on with the gantry, no real work in progress shots, but you can see where I am up to...

Next i'd like to sort out some nuts that I can fix to the gantry then I can mount the X axis screws and steppers.

Hi Conan,

If you are still thinking of swapping the Pine for something more stable why not try

http://www.aluminium-profile.co.uk/a...10mm_Slot.html

Its cheap, cut to length for you, Very accurate and very very easy to mount on also strong as hell due to the profile!

Michael.

Reckon since I've got a load of wood sat here, i'll push on with it for the time being...

With any luck machine #2 will be an aluminium machine :)

It can get addictive, What are you using for lead screw /nuts?

Michael

I've got 2 dead straight M8 studding bars for the X axis, I was going to use self made delrin nuts but i dont have any way of drilling perpendicular to the material.

So i'm on the search for some nuts that I can screw to the gantry.

I plan to use M8 for the Y axis and either M8 or M6 for the Z.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information