Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. #11
    Yes, resolution is fine on my build, I've had it drawing intricate shapes over and over for a good few days and it hasn't lost a step, these shapes are far more intricate than can cut with plasma so it's a pretty tough test.

    I've got it in bits for final wiring etc, my new plasma cutter should be here this week, can start testing properly then.
    Last edited by Davek0974; 22-02-2014 at 10:34 PM.

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Davek0974 View Post
    Yes, resolution is fine on my build, I've had it drawing intricate shapes over and over for a good few days and it hasn't lost a step, these shapes are far more intricate than can cut with plasma so it's a pretty tough test.
    I was more talking about cutting machine rather than plasma, Cutting loads will change things slightly. Not in resolution terms but how well it handles the torque required for cutting and whether it misses steps or not.?
    Throwing a spindle on it will soon show you thou and cutting finish will show how the lower resolution is affecting things, esp with 3d surfaces and tiny stepovers.
    Last belt machine I built was heavily geared, approx 5 or 6:1 I think to get the resolution down for the mostly 3D work it was doing. Thats was 3-4yrs ago and it hasn't missed a beat since and done some lovely work from the few pics that have been sent to me.

  3. #13
    Ahh, I see, I very much doubt this build will see a spindle, it might however see a 3d print head being fitted;)

    would need to be a fair bit tougher for a spindle I think.

  4. #14
    where did your max of 4500 to 5000mm/min come from?

  5. #15
    Purely from reading many hundreds of posts and asking endless questions. As I said, I have never used a CNC machine before but have cut a fair bit by hand and that seems to back up my theory on speeds.

    dont forget that I am only concerned with lower power cutting, as I'm in a home-shop and very limited on power etc. A 50A cutter is about the limit, I know that would cut ridiculously fast on say 1mm sheet but it's variable and more control can be had by lowering it to 20A and running at a more controlled pace.

  6. #16
    Just checking. It seemed 4500-5000 was being stated as some general maximum - which as you know is not the case.

    50A - at home - see the street lights dim when you start that puppy

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by stirling View Post
    Just checking. It seemed 4500-5000 was being stated as some general maximum - which as you know is not the case.

    50A - at home - see the street lights dim when you start that puppy
    Lol, it's only 30A draw on a 220v supply, should be ok.
    Its no more than an electric shower unit draws, the old unit was rated 15A but worked fine on a 13A socket.

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Davek0974 View Post
    Lol, it's only 30A draw on a 220v supply, should be ok.
    Its no more than an electric shower unit draws, the old unit was rated 15A but worked fine on a 13A socket.
    Just don't turn on the radio at same time hey.!!.. . . Lol

    Next to me is a Sub station and you should hear that sucker buzz when me and my lad are on full tilt. . with 2 welders going at same and all other kit in workshop.!!. . . . . . Just hope the Elecy board don't spot the Cable running thru back wall of Station. .

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Just don't turn on the radio at same time hey.!!.. . . Lol

    Next to me is a Sub station and you should hear that sucker buzz when me and my lad are on full tilt. . with 2 welders going at same and all other kit in workshop.!!. . . . . . Just hope the Elecy board don't spot the Cable running thru back wall of Station. .
    He he, that's the way to do it ;)

    nah, worst it can do is pop the breaker to the shop, if it does and likely will, I'll have to rewire and uprate the breaker, I'm pushing my luck well into the realms of stupidity as I have the shop running on a 32A breaker and intending to use a 2hp compressor, 6 fluorescent lights and a 32A plasma cutter :)

    luckily the the cutter can be run at lower power on thinner stuff, but I am expecting to rewire soon.

  10. #20
    New torch and psu arrived today, this thing is a beast!

    not had a chance to power it up yet as I need to make a torch holder to fit the massive machine torch it has.

    The tip is totally different to my smaller unit, must be half a pound of copper in the tip :o

    Hopefully get the table cutting this week.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Setting the zero point on a CNC lathe
    By Robin2 in forum Lathes, Lathe Rebuilding & Conversions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 20-10-2013, 10:37 PM
  2. setting up a business
    By dstivens in forum Opportunities Available & Sought
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 16-05-2013, 10:28 PM
  3. setting the origin
    By Fivetide in forum Computer Software
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-02-2013, 12:18 AM
  4. hi i nead help please with setting up dsp control
    By cockneyrebel in forum Machine Control Software
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 19-01-2013, 01:18 AM
  5. Setting up work on the rotary table
    By irving2008 in forum Machine Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-01-2010, 10:27 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •