. .
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    FWIW - the *conventional* way of doing this is to use gcode IHS (Initial Height Sensing). No reason why you shouldn't use a/the M3 macro - just saying that it's *usually* done in gcode.

One thing you might want to consider if you go the macro route is you'd really need to pass a parameter to M3 because your pierce/cut heights will differ depending on what material type/thickness it is you're cutting. You're then going to have to mod your SCam post to pass this/these params and.... well you might as well have used one of the posts supplied by SCam in the first place that do all this for you. At the end of the day there are many ways to skin this puppy but why re-invent the wheel?

Yeah, I've got it working nicely now by using a sheetcam post, there was bit of early confusion because it appeared the post did not work as good as it does but the author then realised that he fixed it a while ago and forgot it :)

it it does exactly what I wanted it too.

Quote Originally Posted by stirling View Post
    FWIW - the *conventional* way of doing this is to use gcode IHS (Initial Height Sensing). No reason why you shouldn't use a/the M3 macro - just saying that it's *usually* done in gcode.

One thing you might want to consider if you go the macro route is you'd really need to pass a parameter to M3 because your pierce/cut heights will differ depending on what material type/thickness it is you're cutting.
    Wouldn't need to pass anything to m3 because G31 was just being used to set Z zero to height of material rather than using G92 coordinate offset. Difference being some error checking and intelligence could be applied.! The pierce height etc would still be in G-code.

But like you say more than one way to do it and if does the Job then great.

How so? You call your modified M3 and it does it's G31 to set Z zero - then what? - you then have to cater for the float switch offset - then move to pierce height THEN fire the torch - where are you intending on firing the torch if not in - erm - M3?

Quote Originally Posted by stirling View Post
    How so? You call your modified M3 and it does it's G31 to set Z zero - then what? - you then have to cater for the float switch offset - then move to pierce height THEN fire the torch - where are you intending on firing the torch if not in - erm - M3?
    No sorry we are at crossed purposes I was meaning using G31 etc with it's own Macro which would get called before Pierce height etc and not in the M3 macro. This I thought would mean Float switch could be done away with.?
    To be honest I've never messed with Plasma so didn't exactly know how the torch was fired but did suspect M3 would play apart.

Ah right - with you.

Yes - *usually* - after you've done your IHS and then retracted to pierce height you'd fire with M3. In Mach some leave M3 as it is and just have the default DoSpinCW() which will fire your torch via your relay or whatever OR as I prefer - change it to activateSignal(OUTPUT?) - simply because it doesn't have the slight delay that DoSpinCW() has even when you set it to zero - but that's another story.

Cheers

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Davek0974 View Post
    Yeah, I've got it working nicely now by using a sheetcam post, there was bit of early confusion because it appeared the post did not work as good as it does but the author then realised that he fixed it a while ago and forgot it :)

it it does exactly what I wanted it too.

Any chance of you helping me out with the same problem on a new IHS design. I followed the thread but don't see a final solution. A newbie with Mach3/Scam and could use a jumpstart. Is THC required to do an initial IHC or can the software and IHS top switch do it all? Macros (code) and IHS switch input info would be greatly appreciated.

No THC is not required for the IHS but IHS is required for THC :)

the he top switch will provide the response for the IHS which is triggered by the code generated by the CAM software/post, the THC if used will then try and maintain that height based upon the voltage created across the arc, this varies with height.

there are many sheetcam posts that have the IHS code, I'm using ones designed for my THC system so you need to find one that will do what you need, have you tried the sheetcam forum?

Note, some THC systems do not need the code as they also deal directly with the IHS too as a total system.

dave

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Davek0974 For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information