. .
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I've registered my small business with the tax office. My guidelines are that I can earn £8600.00 profit before tax gets taken. Even if you don't reach that it doesn't matter, you must declare it. If you don't there's heavy fines given out, and even custodial sentences. Worth thinking about Jonathan.

Regards
    Alex

Thanks for informing me - I'll look into it.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

It’s all getting a bit serious on here wtf?
    This used to be a site where a helpful soul could earn a quid or two by doing a "favor" for a fellow geek.
    Are we now having to stomach veiled threats fueled by sour grapes?

There is an hysteresis loop twixt “hobby” and “business"... if you "business men" wish to do "business" on a hobby site you are just going to have to face the raw fact that you are attempting to compete with people that you simply cannot compete with.... just as it should be.
    Last edited by blackburn mark; 30-01-2014 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Spelling

As in post #3 and #5, the job has been accepted by another party. I thank all for offering perfectly valid quotes, from both hobbyist and professional perspectives. For now, though, this thread has been answered.

There's an up side to it also. If you register as a 'Sole Trader' for example and submit your annual tax form, then if your outgoings are greater than your income you may be eligible for a tax refund. This is a great help if you are starting a business where you need initial outlay for machinery etc.
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 30-01-2014 at 10:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doddy View Post
    As in post #3 and #5, the job has been accepted by another party. I thank all for offering perfectly valid quotes, from both hobbyist and professional perspectives. For now, though, this thread has been answered.
    With all due respect my good man, you may have filled your boots... good for you :)
    There are other members who may wish to feel free to do "hobby" business and I would like to cast my vote on the larger issue.

Quote Originally Posted by blackburn mark View Post
    It’s all getting a bit serious on here wtf?
    This used to be a sight where a helpful soul could earn a quid or two by doing a "favor" for a fellow geek.

There is an hysteresis loop twixt “hobby” and “business"... if you "business men" wish to do "business" on a hobby site you are just going to have to face the raw fact that you are attempting to compete with people that you simply cannot compete with.... just as it should be.

Just to clarify my position on this. I,m not running a business that incorporates a cnc machine, i do wood crafts. I pointed out what i had to do to keep me legal and also to stop back stabbers or jealous people screwing it all up for me. Giving people advice on this, is a good thing, to keep them on the correct road. Should there be a malicious person out there that wants to ruin it for the "favour" guys, then as long as your doing everything by the book you have nothing to worry about. Hope that clears things up from my point of view.

regards alex.

If that was aimed at me mark, which I think it was, then I'm dissapointed because it should be clear by now I don't do Veil anything.!!. . . . If I don't like something or someone then I'll tell you point blank to your face and not with snide remarks.!! Also if I had any intent to cause malis to anyone then I'm not stupid enough to warn them.!

Regards the sour grapes then you and others may like to know I actually have similair feeling towards Jonathan has I do my teenage son.? . . . Apart from loving my son which I clearly don't Jonathan then I have great respect and admiration for him but at same time when the arrogance and Know-it-all I-know-better attitude comes out I want to punch him in the face.! . . Lol

In this case I just wanted to warn him (and others) to shut the F@~£ up before some spineless Runt does Inform on him. . . .Oh and after that post I sent him a PM explaining more about why I said that.!!

Now crack on making pocket money which I don't have any issue with at all.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    If that was aimed at me mark, which I think it was
    You are entitled to consider my objections to be aimed at you if that is what blows your hair back Jazz but in the interest of science and curiosity... what exactly is it that drives you to see my objection as being levelled at you?

It wasn't levelled at you per-say... it was levelled at any "holier than thou" saints who would put stock in moral legitimacy claims on a hobby/favour/slack hand full of dollars under the tax radar for a bit of machining deal.

I may have the wrong end of the stick here but getting your knickers in a twist over my post leads me to suspect that there was indeed some spite in your words of advice to Jonathan.
    If I am mistaken... one thousand apologies from me with love to you xxx
    If I'm not mistaken... what can I say to make you feel better?

You are entitled to consider my objections to be aimed at you if that is what blows your hair back Jazz but in the interest of science and curiosity... what exactly is it that drives you to see my objection as being levelled at you?
    Ah ah it's been a long time since I had any hair to blow back mate.! . . . Seemed to be levelled at me because I was the one who stated to be careful when publicly posting about charging and to be honest because of the head butting Jonathan and I often part take in I could see how narrow minded folks like you could see that has sour grapes.!

Before you ask why I think you Narrow minded then this statement answers that.!

It wasn't levelled at you per-say... it was levelled at any "holier than thou" saints who would put stock in moral legitimacy claims on a hobby/favour/slack hand full of dollars under the tax radar for a bit of machining deal.
    The only thing Andy, Alex and My self offered was friendly advise based on business experience and not one of us said anything about it being immoral, wrong or gave with an "holier than thou" attitude. To twist this to anything else shows narrow mindedness to me.!!

I may have the wrong end of the stick here but getting your knickers in a twist over my post leads me to suspect that there was indeed some spite in your words of advice to Jonathan.
    If I am mistaken... one thousand apologies from me with love to you xxx
    If I'm not mistaken... what can I say to make you feel better?
    Apologies and love accepted buddy because in no way was there any or has ever been spite towards Jonathan in any post of mine that wasn't blantly obvious or said directly to him in my rantings at him. Jonathan and Me regularely exchange information or share knowledge and even components off the forum and you can rest assured if I didn't like, have respect or had spite towards Jonathan I wouldn't give him the "Stink of my dogs business" let alone my precious time.!

Nar it's abit early for guiness buts lets Chill mate and you crack on fiddling the Tax man in confidense I won't grass you or anyone else up. . .Lol

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information