. .
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by fatguyslim View Post
    ... I make bike frames out of bamboo.
    Was that you in the paper recently (article in a Derby paper which in-laws brought down with them on their recent visit) having had a bamboo bike stolen, then later recovered it at some dodgy market?

Bit rare to have a bamboo bike so thought it worth asking . . .
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

Quote Originally Posted by routercnc View Post
    Was that you in the paper recently (article in a Derby paper which in-laws brought down with them on their recent visit) having had a bamboo bike stolen, then later recovered it at some dodgy market?

Bit rare to have a bamboo bike so thought it worth asking . . .
    No this company you are talking about is based in Scarborough. My designs are different from them and use different technique. Will be posting some of my frames here in the future if you want?

No this company you are talking about is based in Scarborough. My designs are different from them and use different technique. Will be posting some of my frames here in the future if you want?
    I'd certainly be interested to see them - I meddled with steel frame building and carbon fibre handlebars back in the late 80s and like to see innovations in bike design.

Has anyone ever machined stainless or titanium? I have a feeling even a Bridgeport knee mill would struggle and that is way beyond the strength of a home brew cnc. Would it be possible to use something softer and then have it induction hardend after machining?
    CNC routing and prototyping services www.cncscotland.co.uk

ADD ME ON FACEBOOKS

Quote Originally Posted by FatFreddie View Post
    I'd certainly be interested to see them - I meddled with steel frame building and carbon fibre handlebars back in the late 80s and like to see innovations in bike design.
    Some real innovation going on in the carbon market but carbon is too stiff ride and road bike industry won't sway from it no matter what you come out with. People are obsessed with the weight of the bike, they refuse to loose few kilos on their body yet they love to pay £6000 for something that weighs few grams less than a £3000 bike. Oh well I can keep going on and on about this lol.

Will be posting some of my frames here in the future if you want?
    Ok count me in, i'm intrigued to see your designs and how these things are made.

There was a similar story to this one on here long ago, a lad wanted to work with carbon fiber. He was also advised that it would require a decent machine, that carbon fiber was a very unforgiving material to be working with and not to expect much tool life from cutters.

From what I can remember he went on to build a machine, the last memories I have are of watching his YouTube videos, of the machine making parts with carbon fiber as the stock material !

I look forward to seeing this one come to fruition fatguy, I think you’ve already had the sound advice you need at this stage so won’t add to it.

Stay positive, nothing is imposable and good luck for the future.!

.Me
    Last edited by Lee Roberts; 03-02-2014 at 11:12 PM.
    .Me

Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Quote Originally Posted by gavztheouch View Post
    Has anyone ever machined stainless or titanium? I have a feeling even a Bridgeport knee mill would struggle and that is way beyond the strength of a home brew cnc. Would it be possible to use something softer and then have it induction hardend after machining?
    The description "stainless" covers a very wide range of alloys - some are quite easy to machine, others difficult. A Bridgeport in decent nick shouldn't have any problem with most varieties in the sizes we're talking about here. I've cut it on a horrible Clarkes combi lathe / mill and while the finish wasn't like glass it was ok, The chuck is still covered with the residue from the vaporised coolant though (no flood coolant, just a hand held spray) :-)

Similarly, Titanium comes in a wide variety of alloys and tempers but a good quality mill should cut most of the alloys ok if you get your setup correct (cooling, fixturing, tooling, feed rates etc).

http://www.kennametal.com/content/da..._Aerospace.pdf.

hi

the following machine IS NOT STRONG ENOUGH FOR U.

but am posting it so you can see what space you can fit a quite accurate machine. this machine with the correct motors, probebly a decent bit of kit if you fancy prototyping on a small space.

maybe give you some design ideas
    5 Axis Engraving Machine Supporting Frame Unit Ball Screw CNC 3040 Router Table | eBay

10. Quote Originally Posted by fatguyslim View Post
    Some real innovation going on in the carbon market but carbon is too stiff ride and road bike industry won't sway from it no matter what you come out with. People are obsessed with the weight of the bike, they refuse to loose few kilos on their body yet they love to pay £6000 for something that weighs few grams less than a £3000 bike. Oh well I can keep going on and on about this lol.
    ohhh can of worms -> opening time lol. But I'm in agreement with you re weights v costs and the power of marketing. When I was able to ride a bike I loved my ali frame/carbon forks/carbon monostay road bike @ 8.5kg, so not the lightest but light enough. I tried many full carbon but never liked the 'feel', the stiffness was great when putting the power down but tiring for long rides on uk road surfaces. For longer rides you couldn't beat my Condor Fratello steel tourer. It was almost as light @ 9kg but the feel was very different and took the worst out of the road surfaces. Of course the wheelset is just as important as the frame for ride quality...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information