. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I,m looking for compatible programs for my apple mac. I was trying out art cam, which is very good, and also vectric, but it says they aren't compatible with a mac. What are the best programs to use with a mac?

bump........

3. I'm not aware of any CAM programs that run on a Mac. This site lists a few CAD apps: CAD/CAM Programs for the Mac

Thank you Irving. I see sketch up is there, but I think I'll get myself a computer solely for creating designs, and get one for Mach 3.

I think Rhino 3d works on a mac, there is a plugin for rhino called rhino cam that works well for generating toolpaths.

Another option is to use a windows emulator or seperate boot option to use windows on your mac.
    Last edited by gavztheouch; 05-02-2014 at 11:25 PM.
    CNC routing and prototyping services www.cncscotland.co.uk

ADD ME ON FACEBOOKS

Thank you for that, I'll look into it.

You could run Windows in a virtual machine on your Mac,

How to Run Windows on a Mac | PCMag.com

that would give you access to loads of Windows only software and the ability to drag & drop files between Windows & Mac OS, dual boot using Boot Camp is also an option if you have a full retail Windows install disk,
    Regards,
    Nick
    Last edited by magicniner; 06-02-2014 at 10:24 AM.

Lives in Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 30-03-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 491. Received thanks 71 times, giving thanks to others 29 times.
    Have a look at this:

5 Reasons to Download Autodesk Inventor Fusion Now | Wired Design | Wired.com

Fow what it's worth, here's the set-up and work-flow I use:

CAD:

Mac (pre Intel) running OSX 10.5. I use it for generating vector profiles (Illustrator CS3), 3D files (Cinema 4D 10.5) and general design work. It's long in the tooth but it works just fine for my meagre needs.

CAM:
    From there I take my .STL's/.PDF's down to the cellar on a memory stick (no wifi reception down there!) where I have a dual boot, passive (no fans, SSD Drive) micro PC which uses the low-latency Intel D525MW mobo. First I boot into XP where I generate my toolpaths on either Vectric's Cut 2D or Cut 3D (these apps really are superb and at £300 for the bundle, why the hell wouldn't you?) Then a quick re-boot into Linux CNC to run the g-code to control the machine.

Phew! 3 operating systems?! - It may look a bit silly from the outside, but it's a set up that works very nicely for me and I'm getting the best of each OS..!

Wal.
    Last edited by Wal; 06-02-2014 at 01:10 PM.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 20 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    From there I take my .STL's/.PDF's down to the cellar on a memory stick (no wifi reception down there!) where I have a dual boot, passive (no fans, SSD Drive) micro PC which uses the low-latency Intel D525MW mobo
    You could use a pair of home-plugs to get your internet downstairs to transfer files etc. ..Clive

Lives in Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 30-03-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 491. Received thanks 71 times, giving thanks to others 29 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    You could use a pair of home-plugs to get your internet downstairs to transfer files etc. ..Clive
    Yep, good point..! Something like these, perhaps?

TP-Link 200Mbps Powerline Pass-Through Adapter - Twin.. | Ebuyer.com

Could get internet on my telly then, as well...

Wal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information