. .
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    i dont have a lathe to do this so what im looking at to get 2 X 1200mm lengths of 25mm linear bar threaded i need a course M24 thread ,thread,thread length around 50mm one end and about 75-80mm the other.

i havent bought the rail yet case theres alternatives its for a shed injection moulder i just need to complete the top half assembley and planned on useing flanged bearings,it will be very simular to the one in the link but i cant make out how they have fixed the ends of the rail to the plate top and bottom so my plan is to screw the rail into the large bed plate at the bottom and use nuts top and bottom of the top plate.
    НАСТОЛЬНЫЙ ТЕ*МОПЛАСТАВТОМАТ www.stnk.com.ua - YouTube

Can't help with your question but I urge you to get something like this instead of the totally unsafe practice in that video.

Buy Enclosed Push Button Stations Two-hand operation console 22mm-control Siemens 3SB3863-4BA online from RS for next day delivery.

You could make one like it for small money.
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 04-02-2014 at 11:13 PM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Top looks like they've used bearing locknuts. If you look around 1:29, you can see the two nuts on top of each other. I'd also guess they've used a similar setup on the bottom, as going by the general construction of that machine, I doubt they'd have a big enough tap or access to something capable of thread milling, unless they've welded the bottom ends.
    I'd also say the top plate has a slight bend in it, but it could just be the camera angle. Might be worth adding a couple ribs for some additional strength.
    Eddy, I'd hardly call that totally unsafe. Might get health and safety squirming, but given how slow it moves and the fact you're controlling it with a basic spring centred spool valve, if you manage to crush yourself with it, you deserve a darwin nomination.

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    but given how slow it moves and the fact you're controlling it with a basic spring centred spool valve,.
    Its the same on this here, let go of the lever it springs back to neuteral .
    i thought chia did this rail i was going to ask him if he,d thread it, still waiting on a reply from zapps,cheers

Feel free to do what you think is best, Injection Moulder Safety -> http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/ppis4.pdf
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 05-02-2014 at 08:11 PM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    Feel free to do what you think is best, Injection Moulder Safety -> http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/ppis4.pdf

So are you suggesting we implement all HSE directives and recommendations on all our builds & conversions?

No, that's your suggestion, I said, "Feel free to do what you think is best". And sorry I didn't realise people could only get injured at work and being home gave some immunity.
    Also just so you know, this is my last post in this thread.
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 05-02-2014 at 10:59 PM.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    I wouldn't be too hung up on using linear bar for something like this. I'd personally opt for some bright finish bar combined with suitable metal bushings, as I suspect the loads may not suit linear bearings that well, and a few thou float would probably be beneficial to helping things align.
    Eddy, I think most people on here have enough sense to identify real risks.
    The type of machine that the HSE guide you posted a link to is aimed at, are automatic cycle machines, where you set it running, and it runs through the entire operation continually with no user interaction, which rightly should be protected by various guards/interlocks.
    The type of machine discussed here stops as soon as you let go of the lever, so the only real risk is from you putting your limbs where you shouldn't. (well there are other risks, but they should be minimised provided the machine is designed correctly)

Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    I said, "Feel free to do what you think is best". And sorry I didn't realise people could only get injured at work and being home gave some immunity..
    People can get injured anywhere but the difference between hobby user at home and employee is vast, employers and HSE recommendations have to cater for the lowest possible level of common sense and intelligence in tool users or face a huge claim when some thick bugger sticks their hand into active equipment.

Anyone working in their own workshop without employees can make decisions for themselves, rather than assuming they're thick I count their fingers - that will often show if they're fit to make those decisions or not ;-)

- Nick

Quote Originally Posted by deisel View Post
    i dont have a lathe to do this so what im looking at to get 2 X 1200mm lengths of 25mm linear bar threaded i need a course M24 thread ,thread,thread length around 50mm one end and about 75-80mm the other.

i havent bought the rail yet case theres alternatives its for a shed injection moulder i just need to complete the top half assembley and planned on useing flanged bearings,it will be very simular to the one in the link but i cant make out how they have fixed the ends of the rail to the plate top and bottom so my plan is to screw the rail into the large bed plate at the bottom and use nuts top and bottom of the top plate.
    Depending on their pipe threader you might find a local electrical installations company that could put an inch pipe thread on bars for you.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information