. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    You're reading it. ..Clive

"Here i go!"

American but some useful information to get you going, though they can have different build styles to UK
    CNC Machinist Cookbook: Software and Information
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 07-02-2014 at 12:34 AM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

3. Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    American but some useful information to get you going, though they can have different build styles to UK
    CNC Machinist Cookbook: Software and Information
    Thank you very much!

Forget the books all you need is here on the forum.

If you can use CAD and have access to welder, drill press and few basic power tools grinder etc and can weld to a basic level then you'll easily build a CNC machine which if done correctly will more than match anything you'll buy costing double or triple what you'll invest building your own.

Best advise is do the research and read the forum untill your confident you know enough to start building. Then come up with a design that will suit you, don't be afraid to copy someone else's design either as there's only so many ways to build these things.!!
    Then draw the basic design up in Cad to check component fits etc but don't get too carried away with full blown fancy Cad models has the build always changes from the Cad model in some way or another. So just basic CAD and then get on with building machine.

BUT before building phase Start a build thread and run it by us for checking.

DONT buy anything until your absolutley sure it's correct for your needs and again run it by forum to verify your correct. Don't be afraid of the electronics, Motors, drives etc they are very simple things to get working but whats Very important is they are sized correctly and why your best running all the components your intending to use by us first so we can check they are balanced correctly and suitable for your needs.
    If your unsure then just ask and no question is a dumb question so don't be afraid to ask anything your unsure about.

Happy building.!
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 07-02-2014 at 06:35 PM.

5. Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Forget the books all you need is here on the forum.

If you can use CAD and have access to welder, drill press and few basic power tools grinder etc and can weld to a basic level then you'll easily build a CNC machine which if done correctly will more than match anything you'll buy costing double or triple what you'll invest building your own.

Best advise is do the research and read the forum untill your confident you know enough to start building. Then come up with a design that will suit you, don't be afraid to copy someone else's design either as there's only so many ways to build these things.!!
    Then draw the basic design up in Cad to check component fits etc but don't get too carried away with full blown fancy Cad models has the build always changes from the Cad model in some way or another. So just basic CAD and then get on with building machine.

BUT before building phase Start a build thread and run it by us for checking.

DONT buy anything until your absolutley sure it's correct for your needs and again run it by forum to verify your correct. Don't be afraid of the electronics, Motors, drives etc they are very simple things to get working but whats Very important is they are sized correctly and why your best running all the components your intending to use by us first so we can check they are balanced correctly and suitable for your needs.

Happy building.!
    Thank you very much for all the help.

What do you think about something like this: Brian Oltrogge | Gr

2D/3D Surfacing on my DIY Platform CNC - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by shapebusters View Post
    Thank you very much for all the help.

What do you think about something like this: Brian Oltrogge | Gr

2D/3D Surfacing on my DIY Platform CNC - YouTube
    Again the Ganrty looks quite weak but more than that it use's V bearings, which are basicly just fancy skate board bearings, and pressed steel for Linear motion which isn't very good in my experience.
    Problem comes from fine dust building up on the rails and collecting on the bearings which can lead to stalling motors etc if not kept clean. Even with good dust extraction I wouldn't use them has there will be wear issues with the thin Steel sheet which will mean regular adjustment.

When cutting wood, MDf etc dust it will be bad enough but with plastics it will be even worse has the static makes it stick to everything. If you look at the video you can see it starting to build up at the sides and you'll see they have built make shift barriers to contain the dust.

The linear motion is such an important area of a machine that cost cutting in this area always leads to regret in my experience. Company's do it to maximise Profit. DIY builders do it to keep costs down but it makes for a much poorer machine which ever reason.!!

7. Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Again the Ganrty looks quite weak but more than that it use's V bearings, which are basicly just fancy skate board bearings, and pressed steel for Linear motion which isn't very good in my experience.
    Problem comes from fine dust building up on the rails and collecting on the bearings which can lead to stalling motors etc if not kept clean. Even with good dust extraction I wouldn't use them has there will be wear issues with the thin Steel sheet which will mean regular adjustment.

When cutting wood, MDf etc dust it will be bad enough but with plastics it will be even worse has the static makes it stick to everything. If you look at the video you can see it starting to build up at the sides and you'll see they have built make shift barriers to contain the dust.

The linear motion is such an important area of a machine that cost cutting in this area always leads to regret in my experience. Company's do it to maximise Profit. DIY builders do it to keep costs down but it makes for a much poorer machine which ever reason.!!
    There are no arguments against facts!

Thank you!

8. Yes, dude.
    It is looking awesome.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information