. .
    Hi All, just joined; pleased to find a UK forum.

I would like to create a machine to construct helices. Ideally this would be a robotic arm with half a dozen different axis', but this is probably way too much for me to handle on a first build.

Ideally the machine would have an operating area of 2.5m (l) x 1.5m (w) 1.2m (d). Though I understand this may be too expensive and labour intensive for the build, so I could proably get away with 1.2m x 1.2m x 1.2m.

Budget: Ideally under £1,000.00 excluding vat ideally but can go to £3,000.00 excluding vat (providing to larger dimensions and of good quality).

My question is:

Can a CNC Router be used to produce accurate helices within +/- 1.5mm from polystryene?
    Last edited by Dalmango; 08-02-2014 at 02:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalmango View Post

Can a CNC Router be used to produce accurate helices within +/- 1.5mm from polystryene?
    Yes very easly but you'll need a 4th Axis and at this size (1.2M/sq) there's no way you'll do it for £1000.

What exactly do you want to make.?

Thanks Jazz, so it needs to be a 4-axis router.

As mentioned I can push the budget up to £3,000.00 excluding vat, if that's a realistic self-build budget?

Yes 3K is more realistic for a good machine at larger sizes.

What exactly do you want to do with this machine.? Reason I ask is that you mention 1.2m for L,W & D this indicates a long Z axis which for cutting Foam etc is fine. But if you have ideas to use this machine for other materials like wood etc then it will need designing such that the Z extension can be kept to a minimum. . . Best way to do this is with an adjustable height bed .

Thanks Jazz, primarily to machine polystyrene, but I would like to maximise my uses for the machine to be able to cut wood, metal etc. Which sounds possible with the adjustable bed.

Thanks for your input, greatly appreciated.

Thread Information