. .
    Hi all,

How can I create a dxf file from the image below?

I use Photoshop to design all my artwork which I then print out and etch on copper or brass.

What I want to do now is to engrave these designs onto wood or /brass/copper with the small CNC I am building.

The badge and the grenades are .jpegs which are added to the design.

I tried "live trace" in Illustrator, the text comes out as it should be but the badge and the grenades come up as "double" lines. I get the same in Inkscape.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RE_FLAG_200x150.jpg 
Views:	288 
Size:	288.9 KB 
ID:	11541

To avoid the double lines in Illustrator, in Tracing Options : turn off fills, turn on strokes and change 'max stroke weight' to 100px.

You will probably have to combine this output with the text you traced using the default settings.

HTH,
    Si.
    Last edited by firetrappe; 09-02-2014 at 11:39 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to firetrappe For This Useful Post:

I must admit that I would like to find some decent software (even if it is a bit expensive) that will give a fairly clean vector drawing from bitmap/jpeg to DXF. I have posted this request some time ago, but the usual "freebies" Inkscape etc. just do not seem to work too well for me. I have considered trying a diditizing tablet - does anybody use that method? Thanks in anticipation of any suggestions. G.

Thanks mate, that did the trick.

I made a new psd file and separated the "graphics" and "text" in two different layers. I then opened the psd file and traced each part indivudually as you suggested. The "graphic" trace looks (almost) perfect now, just got to play around with the other setting to see if I can get a better trace.

The only other problem I have now is that the dxf file is massive, about 38MB, takes ages to open and work on in CAMBAM.

Is there any way to make it smaller without losing quality?

Thanks for your help.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by firetrappe View Post
    To avoid the double lines in Illustrator, in Tracing Options : turn off fills, turn on strokes and change 'max stroke weight' to 100px.

You will probably have to combine this output with the text you traced using the default settings.

HTH,
    Si.

Geoffrey, wouldn't that just be great, even better if it was freeware. LOL

I met a guy on Facebook, a great artist in drawing, he uses a digitizing tablet with a program called XARA and turns out some great work with it.

My son bought me one a few years ago but I could never get the hang of the thing, mind you must be about 10-12 years ago so maybe the newer ones are a lot better.
    Last edited by Tanky_Turk; 10-02-2014 at 06:47 PM.

You can trace a bmp JPEG in vcarve pro, but not sure if you would get the result you are after.
    I could always give it a go if it helps

This is where I am at the moment, a lot better than before and no double lines.
    I have got the dxf file size down from 39MB to about 9MB but still need to get lower, took ages just to open it with CAMBAM.
    I stopped the conversion to Pollylines after about 40mins or so and back to trying to get a smaller dxf file.

The image is only 200mmx150mm so should not be that big, should it?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-02-10 at 19.50.24.png 
Views:	227 
Size:	253.3 KB 
ID:	11560

Thread Information