. .
Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast
    Just started building 3 aixis cnc aprox 20' x 3' x 2' I am building it from 80mm aluminium extrusion and using a 20mm hywin rail system on all 3 axis with rack and pinion on x and y and a ball screw on the Z. It is a cantilever arm style machine and will mainly be used for cutting foam and other reactively soft materials.

The aluminium i have purchased from KJN and the motion control and linear movement parts are being supplied by CNC4YOU who have been exceedingly helpful and a great bunch of guys.

It is still at very early stages but i do have a few pics of the frame coming together which i will post a little latter. I look forward to any feed back or advice.
    Last edited by charlieuk; 18-10-2014 at 01:32 PM.

heres the first few pics
    Last edited by charlieuk; 28-11-2014 at 12:27 AM.

the frame is almost together although it was pretty expensive i think the ease of construction and accuracy has more than paid for itself plus it would be a lot easier to move if i ever need to.
    Last edited by charlieuk; 28-11-2014 at 12:30 AM.

As no other replies yet just thought I'd say thanks for posting and please keep it up - watching with interest - should be an awesome huge machine when done :-)

no worries, the frame is all locked in solid and started on the gantry. just figuring out bolting the rails down. From what i have read on the hiwin site for the RG20 rail its saying M5 bolts which appear to be a little small in the rail holes but i gees that leaves room for fine adjustment? is bolt them down every 180mm sufficient or do i need to do it more like every 120mm?
    Last edited by charlieuk; 28-11-2014 at 12:28 AM.

Wow Charlie what a build this is going to be!

The rails come pre-drilled so you would want to bolt them down using those fixing distances, I dont want to say to much because I dont know what you have planed but it reads as though you are going to bolt the rail directly to the extrusion?

Edit: Just re-read your first post "soft materials".

.Me
    Last edited by Lee Roberts; 12-02-2014 at 02:32 PM.
    .Me

the rails are pre drilled every 60 mm but have been told that i could probably bolt them less hence possibly going less. The hardest thing i will be machining will be ply wood but mainly 90% of the work will be foam. The rail is going directly on the extrusion which is 80X80 ali and using the centring t blocks. More than happy to listen to any other suggestions, i am basically just going by what i have seen on similar machines that have been built with the same intended use.

many thanks charlie

Presumably the rails are drilled at the standard 60mm spacing... guess that could get tedious over 20 feet/6m - approx 100 per rail... but only needs to be done once. Guess you might get away with every other hole (120 mm) but doing them all would add a little to rigidity I would think...

Did you find the Hiwin rail in 6 m lengths BTW or are you going to have to butt two lengths up together? Longest I've seen is 4 m at e.g. WMH Transmissions Ltd - Product List - HGR 20 GUIDE RAIL<BR><BR>PITCH 60<BR><BR>NORMAL GRADE

no the max length is 4 meters so would have to have a joint , the cheapest i could get was a max length of 2.7m so would need 2 joints which i have ended up with however using 3 two meter lengths for each rail. We have spoken with hiwin and they have said it is fine to just but them up together without anything else.

Would definitely bolt every 60 mm then as the last thing you want is anything moving once you've got all the joints perfectly aligned.

Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information