. .
Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    It's true that problems arise with long motor cables but the manual for my 2.2kW vfd says it's okay up to 50m long before you need to add output chokes. Also it recommends that for minimum radio interference the motor cable screen should be connected to ground at both ends.
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 14-08-2014 at 10:54 PM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    It's true that problems arise with long motor cables but the manual for my 2.2kW vfd says it's okay up to 50m long before you need to add chokes. Also it recommends that for minimum radio interference the motor cable screen should be connected to ground at both ends.
    cool well i will see what its like when its up and running and decide from there, if there is a lot of vibrations still than i can easily move it, i think i could get it down to about 10-12 meters minimum but thats about it.

is there any suppliers for the cable you guys can recommend? is the stuff on ebay ok or should i go else were?
    many thanks

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 14 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by charlieuk View Post
    cool well i will see what its like when its up and running and decide from there, if there is a lot of vibrations still than i can easily move it, i think i could get it down to about 10-12 meters minimum but thats about it.

is there any suppliers for the cable you guys can recommend? is the stuff on ebay ok or should i go else were?
    many thanks
    How about this:- http://quickbit.co.uk/cable/CY-cable...ble-1mm-4-core
    I would earth the screen at both ends. Just search for CY cable. ..Clive

Cheers does the quality of cable vary much is there anything to look out for? the link you posted looks good. many thanks

Don't like Quick bit cable it is poor quality and it's brittle, prefer CSE cables and there's hardly any difference in price. http://www.csecables.com/acatalog/Fl...rol-Cable.html

many thanks thats handy to know i don't mind paying a little extra when its worth it. I am still having trouble deciding how to do this x axis and wether i did the right thing going for rack and pinion as i think it is proving a little tricky to fit it all in with the gear box and tensioning system. something keeps telling me i should maybe look back into belt drive as it gives more flexibility on were you can put stuff. If it was bet drive i could easily mount the motor above the x axis like in the picture or have it stationary on one end of the main frame.
    Last edited by charlieuk; 28-11-2014 at 12:47 AM.

i think we are really getting there now! i have picked up a cnc router parts pro rack and pinion drive for the x axis rather than using a gearbox at the moment, unfortunately it means swapping the rack to mod 1.5 so will have to sell the mod 1 stuff i originally got but it means i will be up and running sooner.

The cable has just arrived so thats all going in now however i just need to deside how and were it is best to situate the control box and the pc.

Is it best to keep the control box relatively close to the machine? whats the best way to protect it in a dusty environment? i was wondering about putting the box into maybe a kitchen unit type thing so it is double protected from dust and then have the computer some were less dusty but would be further away but being my first build im not really to sure what the standard thing would be on a large machine like this. Any suggestions would be great.
    Last edited by charlieuk; 28-11-2014 at 12:48 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to charlieuk For This Useful Post:

Well after a lot of fine tuning it's all levelled up and the main part of the build complete just the final wiring to be done this weekend and we should have some movement. I ended up adding some extra plates to aid setting it up and stiffening and also bolted it to the wall which made a huge difference

one thing I am still looking for are the caps to fill the bolt holes on the rails if anyone knows we're to get them or what I could use.

Many thanks
    Last edited by charlieuk; 28-11-2014 at 12:47 AM.

I have also got a full length switch to use as the e stop so you can grab it were ever you are along the length.
    Last edited by charlieuk; 28-11-2014 at 12:48 AM.

Very neat, looks great.
    CNC routing and prototyping services www.cncscotland.co.uk

ADD ME ON FACEBOOKS

Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread Information