. .
Page 21 of 29 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
  1. Ok, how many switches are there, what polarity (npn or pnp) and voltage? How are they currently wired?

There are 6 in total 3 home 3 limit all pnp nc each one has a common + and - up to a junction box on the gantry were they go off on there own each have there own separate input wire on the csmio . the main wire is a 12 core cy screened and earthed at the control box all running on 24v

many thanks
    Last edited by charlieuk; 28-11-2014 at 12:52 AM.

Just for completeness (I am not familiar with the csmio) as this thread is long is the 24V ps -ve connected to the -ve on the controller board.

I would be very surprised if it turns out to be the switches although I favour npn type.
    As has been said I don't think the cable length should be an issue.

Have you tried a small capacitor at the machine end of the ps supply cable across the +ve and -ve.

I though Charlie had been advised which switches to use, but anyway for inductive proximity switches my advice would be 3 wire NPN, this is a useful thread Charlie; http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/7723-...0012#post60012
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    I though Charlie had been advised which switches to use, but anyway for inductive proximity switches my advice would be 3 wire NPN, this is a useful thread Charlie; http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/7723-...0012#post60012
    Unlike most Bob's the Csmio I/O's are not restricted on switch type or a set voltage/current so can use any Logic so PNP or NPN doesn't matter. NPN or PNP both do the same job they switch a circuit, just one sinks and one sources and the Csmio inputs accept either.
    For instance input one could use PNP @ 6V and Input two NPN @ 24v provided they both have there own voltage source.

This one reason why it's used so often on retro fits as it can use Odd ball logic and voltages of Bespoke controllers etc.!
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 01-11-2014 at 11:30 AM.

6. Quote Originally Posted by charlieuk View Post
    There are 6 in total 3 home 3 limit all pnp nc each one has a common + and - up to a junction box on the gantry were they go off on there own each have there own separate input wire on the csmio . the main wire is a 12 core cy screened and earthed at the control box all running on 24v

many thanks
    So active low signal (i.e. break = limit/home hit), wired as per page 19 of the CSMIO/IP-M user manual?
    I have to say I doubt line capacitance is an issue at the CSMIO end. CY cable is 75-150pF/m so looking at 900 - 1800pF for 12m. So when switch opens that 1800pF has to discharge through opto-isolator/resistor. Assuming standard 10mA opto current, series resistor is 2200ohm, so fall time is approx 6uS worst case. One simple & quick test would be to put an additional 2200ohm 1/2W resistor to ground at the switch end of the cable (or even a couple in parallel). This will discharge the capacitance faster and will reduce the effective capacitive load on the switch. Try that first...
    Last edited by irving2008; 01-11-2014 at 12:36 PM.

Watching the video more closely, when the plugin filter is reduced to 1 (video at about 2:49min in.) the switch works as expected but the auto reset won't work. So it looks to me like it's the input filter setting that is causing the problem with switch not triggering. The issue is then, why does it not reset when the limit override is selected.

From the manual.

"5. If the machine has entered the hardware LIMIT switch, you can leave it by switching on the Settings screen "OveRride Limits" button. It is also convenience to switch "Auto LimitOverRide" - this will cause that while the raid on SW limit switch the machine will stop , but you can click RESET and le ave the limit switches without any additional operations."

Is it saying that "Auto limitoverride" is for software limits (SW) ? and "Override Limits" button is for hardware limits ?

Charlie, set the input filter to 1 or zero and see what this "Override Limits" button is.
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 01-11-2014 at 11:38 PM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Whew you set it to low when you hit the limit and then hit ether of the over ride buttons it triggers another e stop straight away so it it making it to sensitive. Like I said though when you shorten the wire it's fine and but I'm sure at one point I did have it going as is. We have some new switches to try so will be giveing that a go later

Ok so we tried the new switch with not much improvement so tony put his oscilloscope on it and basically the large kinco driver for the x axis is putting out a huge amount of noise.

The input filter in the plugin is used to stop spurious signals induced in the limits wiring acting as though the limit has been triggered when it has not.
    If you are not getting these false triggers then the value in the filter setting needs to be as low as possible with zero being the best. Any higher setting is going to ignore the limit signal for a brief period of time and all that is demonstrated in your video.

It may be that noise is a problem once the limit has triggered but the main issue seems to be with resetting the system using some kind of override for the limits, I can't be more specific because I don't have access to a csmio board or plugin.
    I do know that if you set up the software limits they should stop the machine before reaching the hardware limits and you should use those all the time, but obviously the hardware limits MUST be working for safety.

Are you using the most recent plugin software ?
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 02-11-2014 at 07:34 PM.

Page 21 of 29 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread Information