. .
Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    I'm looking for some advise on we're to put all the electrics. My work space is generally quite dusty so I obviously need to protect against that. I also have the issue that all the cables will be fairly long by the time they make it any where. It's aprox 5meters from the centre of the machine and start of cable Chain to the spindle or about 8 if you take the cables to one end of the table. I have a metal cupboard I have been wondering about utilising to house some of the stuff to protect from dust but just not to sure how far I need to go with it, do I need a clean air source from out side? I was thinking of having the actual computer in a separate room to avoid dust but not sure if this would be practical? If any one can give any suggestions that would be great as I'm sure there is more to it than first meets the eye and as it's my first machine I'm not sure how closely things need to be together. Many thanks
    Last edited by charlieuk; 28-11-2014 at 12:49 AM.

You prob want a cabinet similersomething like this.

http://www.rittal.com/uk-en/product/...ductID=PRO0023

Most proffesional cnc machines will have a fan to cool with a filter to stop the majourity of crap getting inside. I guess you might have some long running times so you might want to add some sort of fan on your stepper drivers or at least bolt them to a heatsink or something. If you really want to push the boat out you could bolt them to a hunk of aluminium and water cool the block. My thermwood machine has a airconditioning unit attached to cool the insides of the cabinet.
    CNC routing and prototyping services www.cncscotland.co.uk

ADD ME ON FACEBOOKS

any suggestions to what sort of filters to use, i guess it will need to be fairly large to prevent the chances of it geting blocked up to quickly? how about the vfd? originally i had it mounted to the gantry but then realised it was probably better some were else. Is it something i need access to the hole time so needs to be some were accessible and if so then how would i protect that from dust all so? put it in a separate box?

cheers

Big Steel box with 2 fans pulling air in thru good paper filters and one pulling it out. Filters like this. http://www.apc.com/products/family/?id=414

Car air filters also make good filters but you'll need to make an housing similair to whats in the picture. Which is easy made from thin ali sheet if you have a working machine and a good little test.

cheers thanks i will see what i can find at a local car spares shop, should i put the vfd in with it all or separate do you think?
    Last edited by charlieuk; 09-10-2014 at 09:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by charlieuk View Post
    cheers thanks i will see what i can find at a local car spares shop, should i put the vfd in with it all or separate do you think?
    Put it inside with it. If you need or want to see the display then depending on VFD make you can often remove the front display and put externally.

If your controling thru software then you don't really need access but it's nice to be able to see the display and have it set for Amps. This will give an indication to cutter wear and spindle load. (thou don't think your foam will challenge the spindle any.!!)

cool many thanks will work on that principle.

like this;
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/6565-...6651#post56651

make sure the fans blow into the panel (via the filter), not suck out of it, this is to keep the air pressure inside the panel higher than outside.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Box purchased and went super size just incase I needed more room.
    Last edited by charlieuk; 28-11-2014 at 12:49 AM.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 13 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by charlieuk View Post
    Box purchased and went super size just incase I needed more room.
    Can you not vent it from the outside with say 4" soil pipe. ..Clive

Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread Information