. .
Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by charlieuk View Post
    what are the best methods for tensioning timing belts on to steppers. I have slots for adjustment but need some sort of screw type adjuster to get the belt relatively tight. Cant seam to find much on here.
    Section 10 page 45.
    http://file.lasersaur.com/docs-third...ming_Belts.pdf

I just used the same technique as putting an alternator belt on, stick a large screwdriver in behind the motor and lever it out until the belt is at the 'correct' tension, now tighten the bolts.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

i guess that keeps things simple! the pulleys i have have two grub screws for securing however the shaft is totaly round, whats best to do there? put a flat for them or drill a hole or something? cheers charlie

Quote Originally Posted by charlieuk View Post
    i guess that keeps things simple! the pulleys i have have two grub screws for securing however the shaft is totaly round, whats best to do there? put a flat for them or drill a hole or something? cheers charlie
    Use two grub srews M4 will do, these MUST be 90 degrees apart around the pulley boss (i.e. NOT opposite each other). File a small flat on the motor shaft for one of these screws only. Where the flat is, use a flat bottom grub screw, for the other screw grind it to a point so it digs into the shaft once tightened.
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 08-08-2014 at 09:53 AM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

cheers many thanks thats great will get on to that

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 17 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    The way I have done mine is to put a copper plug (pad) into the grub screw hole. I have done this by using a bit of solid core earth wire from twin&earth cable just lightly swash it with a hammer and then cut a piece off that will fit down the hole so that the flat bit is on the shaft then just tighten the grub screws. That way you don't mark the shaft.
    I have found that it is not necessary to put a flat on the motor shaft. ..Clive

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    The way I have done mine is to put a copper plug (pad) into the grub screw hole.
    Im sure the locknuts for my ball screw BK blocks had a grub screw arrangement like that.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 17 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    Im sure the locknuts for my ball screw BK blocks had a grub screw arrangement like that.
    Yes all mine did as well it's a common way of fixing as it does not damaged the shafts so that makes them easy to remove later if necessary. ..Clive

belts arrived, i had to go with 5 teeth less on the motors to get it to fit unfortunately well unless the belts stretch a fraction as it is right between sizes.
    Last edited by charlieuk; 28-11-2014 at 12:45 AM.

I mentioned it in a post earlier that i am geting a small amount of flex from the main back uprights which for the surfboards really isn't a problem as the load on the machine will be close to nothing cutting foam however i would like to try and reduce it as much as posable. I have been wondering about two options the first being bolting a pice of 90deg angle steel to each leg ( i cant get large enough channel or T section) and the second idea was to fill each of the current aluminium legs with a resin/granite mix or maybe even a concrete mix which i have been reading about which may help in other ways as well.

Can any one give any suggestions as to what may be best?

many thanks

any one got any ideas to the above?

Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread Information