. .
    Using Google to check out reviews of lo-end Chinese aluminum foil machines by Clarke, Warco etc that sell for around £300GBP/$400USD suggests that they leave a lot to be desired. As a recently retired guy with arthritis, I find portable bandsaws and Sawzall-type cutting of 50mm stock not very easy or accurate: I end up using a carbide 25mm face mill to finish the job for me.
    So, I'm looking for a decent machine, new or in good used condition. I could afford about £500GBP max.

Something called the Holzmann bs128 looks like it fits the bill but I haven't been able to find any reviews. There are a couple of clips on YouTube of it in action, but with no commentary. Anyone know if it's any good, or could suggest alternatives to consider?

Cheers,

Gareth.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 16 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Last edited by Clive S; 12-02-2014 at 09:32 AM.

Lives in Barrow in Furness, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 23 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 786. Received thanks 96 times, giving thanks to others 176 times.
    Hi Garson
    I have been looking into purchasing a bandsaw for some time now, you can get a pretty good bargain on e-bay if you go for a quality make MSC/Startrite/Hammer/Felder. as they are heavy and it's always collect only it reduces the people bidding(or seems to) so if you can sort delivery you could get a bargain. i was thinking of getting a Hammer but was looking on e-bay @ the Holzmann and they seem to be a bit of decent kit, wanted a free standing one but just saw this the other day
    HOLZKRAFT HBS 352 - BAND SAW, GERMAN BAND SAW, BEST PRICE IN EUROPE | eBay
    and might try and find some more info.
    Regards
    Mik

The 50mm stock thickness may be too much for this option but myself and many others cut through aluminium sections etc with a chopsaw (TCT blade - not wood blade!). This gives pretty straight cuts.

I think Jazz mentioned a table saw with TCT blade but then 50mm may be getting too thick, not sure.

There is a pretty large, industrial gauge horizontal saw at work, similar in concept to the one Clive linked to but chunkier. The cuts are nowhere near straight so cost is no guarantee of cut. Having said that it probably needs an overhaul.
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

Thanks, guys, for all the helpful suggestions so far.

I've discovered that the Holzmann bs128 currently on sale on eBay at £525 + freight is identical to Axminster's MCB1155HD which sells for £350 including delivery. Problem solved!

Looks like either machine would need a little TLC before being ready for action. But that's normal. No prizes for guessing which version I'll be getting.

Regards, Gareth.
    Last edited by garson626; 13-02-2014 at 12:20 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to garson626 For This Useful Post:

Thread Information