. .
    Just an idea, would Epoxy granite be any good to make injection molds out of. The idea would be to mill an inverse mold from an easily machine material, maple wood, plastic or dense foam and then take a cast using the expoy granite to make the tool? You could then make some pretty sizeable molds on a pretty lightweight machine.
    CNC routing and prototyping services www.cncscotland.co.uk

ADD ME ON FACEBOOKS

Are you talking thermoplastics which are injected at temperatures which, I suspect, are above what the epoxy would tolerate, also the thermal characteristics would probably not give the required cooling rate to the component.

Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Seen it and very impressed, thats where the idea started. I always thought the mold material needed to be metal. The problem is those 3d printers cost a fortune to buy and run. That mold likely cost more than a £1000 just to print and I doubt it will last more than a few cycles. Still very exciting tech in time I guess the cost will come down.
    CNC routing and prototyping services www.cncscotland.co.uk

ADD ME ON FACEBOOKS

Quote Originally Posted by gavztheouch View Post
    Seen it and very impressed, thats where the idea started. I always thought the mold material needed to be metal. The problem is those 3d printers cost a fortune to buy and run. That mold likely cost more than a £1000 just to print and I doubt it will last more than a few cycles. Still very exciting tech in time I guess the cost will come down.
    its not a bad idea,there are high temp tooling resins out there ,used in injection moulding, dies etc,im not sure how such a mould would fair with long term use but for the right job and concidering the prices some firms want for tooling,id consider it

that part turned out terrible, was that down to the mold surface or the injection set up?300 bar it took to fill that

Quote Originally Posted by deisel View Post
    that part turned out terrible, was that down to the mold surface or the injection set up?300 bar it took to fill that
    When you say terrible do you mean because of the surface finish?
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by cncJim View Post
    When you say terrible do you mean because of the surface finish?
    Cheers.
    yes jim,but im guessing after a little learning over the weekend its as much to do control over mold temp amongst other things.

I would think the terrible surface is down to the 3D printing.

All the 3D printers that use the extrusion technique (think glue gun) produce a surface that leaves a lot to be desired. I'm guessing that as the part took 22 hours to print the nozzle on that printer is very fine which has resulted in a surface finish that isn't too bad. The little home 3D printers have much larger nozzles and the print quality is awful IMHO. Depending on the material the object is printed with you can sometimes wash it with solvent (acetone) to smooth out the print but then you lose some fidelity. The granular binding technique generally leaves a better surface finish to 3D printed parts and can even be used to make metal parts but if you think that machine is expensive I wouldn't go looking for a price for granular binding.

Thread Information