. .
    Lives in Dunedin, New Zealand. Last Activity: 06-02-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 275. Received thanks 2 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    I'm sure this must of been asked before but I can't find it.

1/ To mill a pocket and leave the top outside edges without burs which direction should the spindle be traveling if the tool rotation is clockwise ? And when cutting an outside profile ??

2/ What is the quickest way in cambam to send the spindle around the top outside edge of a profile to do a quick clean up ?
    Last edited by dudz; 15-02-2014 at 07:01 PM.
    3 axis CNC/router / Alu profile frame....25mm Alu Cutting bed X=500mm Y=300mm Z=110mm.....Supported 25mm X rails ....Supported 20mm Y rails....Supported 20mm Z rails.....2.2kw Chinese WC spindle..... CSLAB CSMIO/IP-M 4-axis Ethernet Motion Controller....M542 Drivers..SY60STH86-3008BF Motors...running....Mach3 / Cambam / Emachineshop.

I'd say cutter motion should be clockwise for the inside pocket and anticlockwise for outside profile, so the cutting edge is advancing to the oncoming work edge, as opposed to the cutting edge taking the trailing work piece by surprise. But I don't know from experience, so take it with a pinch of salt.
    Last edited by CharlesJenkinson; 16-02-2014 at 09:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJenkinson View Post
    I'd say cutter motion should be clockwise for the inside pocket and anticlockwise for outside profile, so the cutting edge is advancing to the oncoming work edge, as opposed to the cutting edge taking the trailing work piece by surprise. But I don't know from experience, so take it with a pinch of salt.
    That's Conventional Milling, using Climb Milling can give you very neat edges but only if your machine is rigid enough and has very little backlash.
    Either should give you neat edges if you have your feeds & speeds correct for the material & cutter, try a calculator like HSM Advisor [ Advanced CNC Speed And Feed Calculator - HSMAdvisor ] to check your current settings, the free 30 day trial should give you plenty of time to experiment,

- Nick

Thread Information