. .
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    Yes, thanks stirling, that's what I should have said had I engaged my brain better, buffering is what you said and it does allow memory in the pendant to be less as it's moving the file in smaller blocks.
    Thanks EC but what you said originally about the 128 vs 123 is surely also correct. I expect the "importer" has an excuse for that too. Probably something like Ah... but USB megabytes are bigger megabytes than internal memory megabytes so that's why 123 won't fit into 128. Ah right - thanks...
    Last edited by stirling; 18-02-2014 at 03:50 PM.

Yes it's puzzling me. I agree Mach 3 is the way to go but the machine came with this pendant so I will try and make it work for now if I can.
    The file is 123mb (an other is 105mb, neither run) and the internal memory of the pendant is 128mb so I'm not quite sure where the missing storage space has gone.

If anyone could convert my router to Mach 3 for a reasonable price I would defo be interested. Likewise if anyone could boost the memory of the pendant.

I am currently trying to circumvent the issue by dividing the cutting file into parts, to machine seperately on the same workpiece ( a pain in the arse). I have encountered another issue that's baffling me. Using the sub-segment facility in Deskproto, the finish file doesn't seem to coordinate with the roughing file. i.e the finish pass cut is cutting too shallow and then too deep. It vaguely resemble the roughing pass (I left a skin of 1mm to take off with finish pass), but is out by +- 5mm. I have double checked the origin and z level zero and it's all good. I am doing another sample as we speak to see if the same problem occurs. I am wondering if there is a bug in the sub-seg feature of Deskproto or whether I've overlooked something obvious. I'll keep you posted.

Oh crikey. It's all gone tits up now. I was cutting a roughing file on a 3d relief. It has 40mm depth which the router was due to cut in 2 x 20mm passes. When it got to the end of the first pass, instead of moving back 500mm to the origin to begin the second pass, it only moved back around 30mm and started the second pass in totally the wrong place. When I stopped the program and returned to origin, it had set itself a new origin where the second pass started. Rats!

So, something is amiss. It could be one of several things;
    1)in trying to find how to run large files on the pendant I inadvertently pressed 'format' which deletes all the settings on the pendant memory. I reset them but may have missed something.

2) deskproto CAM has a bug in the sub-seg feature perhaps.

3) My new laptop which is running the CAM is messing it up. It is being replaced under warranty tomorrow as it's playing up.

I am going to try cutting a last known good file which should help identify whether it's the pendant or the file. Any advice much appreciated.

Your controller appears to be from Motion Control Products who are in my opinion a good company to deal with. Was it them you talked to? If not I'd suggest you have a chat with them.

Yep. Spoke to them this morning. They said the pendant 'reads' the files using internal memory. They couldn't offer a solution unfortunately. I expect it is very rare that anyone using these pendants wants to run a file this large. They are probably used mostly for 2d work I expect.

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    Yep. Spoke to them this morning. They said the pendant 'reads' the files using internal memory. They couldn't offer a solution unfortunately. I expect it is very rare that anyone using these pendants wants to run a file this large. They are probably used mostly for 2d work I expect.
    Sorry but that would be unacceptable to me. 128Mb is not a large file and the documentation says it reads directly from USB for large files and it clearly doesn't.! . . OR. . .You have it set wrong and it's not doing this.?

That said personaly I would convert to Mach3 and use External Ethernet motion control card if you want to use a Laptop. You'll have a lot more options and plenty of backup for the Tit's up moments.!

Yes I would be happy to convert to Mach 3. It's a question of either learning how to do it myself and the time that requires or, finding someone who would be willing to do it for me (hint, hint). I'm happy to pay, obviously.

My last known good file ran fine. This is a smaller file that hadn't been through the deskproto sub-segment process. So, it's either the pendant messing up larger files or the sub segment feature of deskproto messing things up. I guess if I run a larger file that hasn't been through deskproto sub-seg then that should give me a clue.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Sorry but that would be unacceptable to me. 128Mb is not a large file and the documentation says it reads directly from USB for large files and it clearly doesn't.! . . OR. . .You have it set wrong and it's not doing this.?

That said personaly I would convert to Mach3 and use External Ethernet motion control card if you want to use a Laptop. You'll have a lot more options and plenty of backup for the Tit's up moments.!

Agree 100% with Jazz. I'm surprised to be honest at MCP. This is a link to their .pdf about the controller and interface card and it clearly states that it can read from USB OR internal memory. In fact if you look at the table on page 1 it states:

128Mb internal memory. It can also support files of a larger size as it can read direct from a USB memory stick (up to 1GB)
    So it even tells you the external file size it can handle - so clearly their answer to you is just plain wrong.

I know. I quoted the pdf to their man (Nick), who told me about the internal memory checking, reading (call it what you like) the files from the usb prior to running the program.
    It suspect it is the manual that is wrong. If anyone knows different and can tell me how to bypass internal memory, I'd love to know.
    The pendant is made in China, MCP are resellers AFAIK. It sounded to me like I was the first person to ask how to run a large file direct from usb.
    I am going to e-mail them to clarify, as well as contacting the Chinese manufacturer to find out more.

Did you get a wiring diagram or schematic with the machine ?
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information