. .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I am trying to run large 3d relief cutting files on my dsp pendant controller and running up against internal memory issues. This the controller;

http://www.shtmakine.com/FileUpload/...on501_full.pdf

I am running my files from the external usb stick. When I press run, the files load onto the internal memory of the pendant controller, counting up to 100% before running. My smaller files run fine. I am now trying to run a 123mb file. It starts loading fine but when to gets to around 85% it stops and I get a message on the pendant screen saying something like ' insufficient internal memory, please delete some files'.

When I navigate to the internal files list on the pendant, it is empty, so I can't delete anything.

The blurb for the controller says it is possible to run larger files (bigger than 128mb) straight from the memory stick. I can't find an option to do this other than what I'm already doing.

Anyone else encountered this issue and found a work around?

Thanks in advance. Chris

According to the document from the link you have 2 options to chose where to run the file from - internal or external (USB stick).
    If you have selected the correct source then it might be a file error on the stick. Sometimes error messages on microcontroller based devices might be misleading as they hardly cover every particular error case.
    Have you tried reading back the file to the PC?
    Or use a different USB stick for a test?
    If nothing else helps maybe you can split the job into smaller parts.

Thanks for the reply.
    Yes I am running it from the stick, and have tried different sticks, but always with the same result that any file over 100mb gets near completion of loading then reports insufficient memory. I am confused as the manual says you can run direct from the stick with larger files, but when you choose this option, it still appears to need to load on to the pendant's internal memory before running. I need to find the instruction to bypass this step, or as you point out, learn how to make it as more than one part. I am reluctant to go down that route until I have ascertained beyond doubt that it is not possible run files larger than 100mb using the pendant.

The best approach is, of course, to ask the manufacturer. If they are cooperative. The manual is written in somewhat telegraphic style I'd say and maybe some vital step in defining an external only source is omitted.
    Or there simply may be a bug in the firmware if they use the internal memory as a temporary storage in that case.

Maybe it's because the 128MB is it's size before the file system and formatting is taken into account ? same as a hard disc does not give you the full capacity of it's quoted size.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Yes, I am waiting for manufacturers to get back to me but thought I'd try you guys as I've always found solutions quickly presented here. I'm sure, like most things, it's quite simple if you know how. If the manufacturer can provide a solution I will post it here.

I spoke to the manufacturer (uk importer?) this morning. Apparently the pendant buffers the file from usb stick to internal memory so there is no easy solution. I am wondering if some electronics expert could increase the internal memory for me? Other than that I am looking at cutting the file in parts, converting the machine to Mach 3 or buying a pendant with a larger memory. Suggestions welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    I spoke to the manufacturer (uk importer?) this morning. Apparently the pendant buffers the file from usb stick to internal memory so there is no easy solution.
    So how does that affect it ? I thought you had 128MB internal and the files was 123MB ? are you saying the memory in the pendant is less that that ? which if it is, sounds like they made a cock up.

Mach3 or Linux is the way to go.
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 18-02-2014 at 12:09 PM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

What EddyCurrent said but also...

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    I spoke to the manufacturer (uk importer?) this morning. Apparently the pendant buffers the file from usb stick to internal memory
    But that's not the answer to your question - he may *say* it BUFFERS but that's exactly what it isn't doing. Buffering means that rather than loading ALL the data from the stick to internal memory and then running it (what they call "internal"), BUFFERING (in this context) means it should load "some amount" from the stick to internal memory and then as it works through it it loads more as needed until the job is done (what they call "external").

You're being fobbed off by someone who either doesn't know or DOES know and is not prepared to admit that it doesn't do what the manual says it should.

Quote Originally Posted by stirling View Post
    But that's not the answer to your question - he may *say* it BUFFERS but that's exactly what it isn't doing. Buffering means that rather than loading ALL the data from the stick to internal memory and then running it (what they call "internal"), BUFFERING (in this context) means it should load "some amount" from the stick to internal memory and then as it works through it it loads more as needed until the job is done (what they call "external").
    Yes, thanks stirling, that's what I should have said had I engaged my brain better, buffering is what you said and it does allow memory in the pendant to be less as it's moving the file in smaller blocks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information