. .
  1. I just measured the TiR on my Kress 1050, and it is around 0,04mm.
    This seems a bit high, is there anything you could do to improve it? I would guess this TIR is one of the reasons I have problems getting clean cuts in brass. (CZ120)

I am considering upgrading to a better spindle, does anyone have suggestions for moving up a notch?

The eBay watercooled "Chinese spindles" seems to be quite a gamble, I would prefer a spindle with a warranty that counts for something.

Regards,
    Hauk

I worried about the same thing and ended up buying a Chinese spindle plus VFD but from a UK supplier. Cost more than eBay but good service and a voice that speaks the right language on the end of a phone. I went to cnc4you and don't regret it.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Neale View Post
    I worried about the same thing and ended up buying a Chinese spindle plus VFD but from a UK supplier. Cost more than eBay but good service and a voice that speaks the right language on the end of a phone. I went to cnc4you and don't regret it.
    Have you measured TIR on the CS? It is claimed that they should be better than 0,005mm.

I am also curious about what experiences you or anyone else have with cutting brass using a fairly light router and a Chinese Spindle.

Regards, Hauk

Just had a chance to measure TIR on my spindle. My best dial gauge only reads down to 0.01mm, and as far as I can judge, TIR on my spindle is slightly over 0.01mm. Difficult to be very accurate as the CNC router is built from MDF and there's a lot of play and bend in the structure, so every time you touch the spindle collet to rotate it, you see more movement than that! I measured using the shank of a solid carbide cutter in a 6mm ER20 collet just below the collet face, so runout further down could be more. The collet was from Arc Euro Trade, not the 1/4" collet supplied with the spindle, and I can't see any figures quoted for collet accuracy.

Thread Information