. .

Looks a bit crowded nobby!

Personally I'd use a much bigger box. The board above the PSU is partially blocking the air inlets and just underneath it are the bare terminals for the mains connection.

I would prefer to see a bit of airflow around the bits, space to see visually that the cables are correctly wired, plus space to clip the cable runs down.
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

you mean the bare exposed psu terminals will interfere with the break out board?

what i had planned on doing was unsheathing the main cables as they come in and running them around the bottom and up to the drives - the connections are all good as I have tested it all, just as yet not on the machine.

the break out board will float above the psu.

I flipping layed it all out like that before I bought the box, thinking that will be ok, as the drives are double sided taped to the box for heat sink? soak?
    and the power inlet and switch were 2 inches from the main connector on the psu, so there was no mains wire run.

cock - bigger box or see how it goes?
    Last edited by nobby; 20-02-2014 at 11:25 PM.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 11 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Watch out for the magic blue smoke ..Clive

ovber heating or connections?
    all the wires have numbers on them, they aren't all blank black wires.
    I didn't realise it initially, but the bob has 3 5v outs on the side, i didn't see them, so there will be single feeds and one loop to each drive. no choc block.
    I think i shall fling in a little brushless 5v fan extra, just found one - do i run that constamnt off the bob.

Damn. Just noticed this post after I had replied to the other one.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    It does look cramped, which probably won't lead to any major issues when it's working, but cramped can be a nightmare when it comes to diagnosing any faults.

Nothing worse than trying to test a connection that's buried!

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    It does look cramped, which probably won't lead to any major issues when it's working, but cramped can be a nightmare when it comes to diagnosing any faults.

Nothing worse than trying to test a connection that's buried!

you mean when initially setting it up

-so far the x and y were the wrong way around
    plus the z is back to front, its all wired the same as the other axis, do I simply need to change the direction.
    -i think the ball screw is upside down - as stock in these?

do i simply switch around the a + and -
    and the b+ and -
    Last edited by nobby; 21-02-2014 at 03:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nobby View Post

you mean the bare exposed psu terminals will interfere with the break out board?
    I was more concerned about cables or other items dropping onto the live terminals during use. Some of those SMPS come with a plastic screen - did yours?

It could all run fine for years without issue, or it could get too hot, or it could have intermittant inference. Only time will tell.

For about the same price you could have picked up a PC case
    e.g. NEW CiT 2016 PC TOWER COMPUTER CASE ATX BLACK FRONT USB & SOUND | eBay

MODERATOR:
    There is a similar thread to this - can they be merged?
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

My Immediate thoughts are.!!. . . . . BOOM
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 21-02-2014 at 09:58 PM.

Thread Information