. .
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    So does anyone use a stepper motor to hold the knife so that it can be turned using G code as if it were a 4th axis ?
    Yes that's the way Tangential works, Mach as an option to use an Axis for Tangental moves.

Edit: Heres a vid of Tang knife and site to look at with some info. http://www.rockcliffmachine.com/foru...utting-Styrene

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY3h352Lhn4
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 22-02-2014 at 03:36 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Check out this guy who does exactly what you want to do by the looks of it. His machines are quite light weight but adequate for the job and he makes drag knifes also.

DonekTools - YouTube
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 20 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Swarfing, that's the same guy as the video we discussed on the first page. It would appear Donek have more than one youtube account.

I missed that link so i just checked it out and so it looks like he is into snowboarding as well.
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

Just for information. This morning I took a blunt 1/8" shank 30 degree engraving cutter, ground a new point slightly offset to the centreline - don't know what the the offset was as it was only done by eye on a green wheel, but probably about 0.3mm and ground the face opposite the flat face down to form a point - I hope that makes some sense. I then used temporary tack adhesive to stick a 0.25mm A4 acetate sheet to a self healing mat, drew a cutting program for 40 of my 1/12 scale streetlamp head glazing panels, edited the spindle start out of the code in the post processor and ran the program. Result? I now have 80 lamp glasses (I ran the program twice). The cut is quite acceptable and the cutter was clearly following in the cut direction and swiveling nicely at the corners. To be fair this was a very simple shape - just a trapezium with the four corners cut back to clear any excess solder I get when building the lampheads. The first sheet I cut at about 1500mm/min and the second at 2000mm/min. I do not think the speed made any difference, but I was trying to hold each cut piece in position as I had used the "tacky" very sparingly so that there was not much adhesive to clean off. There is no noticeable "dobbing" of the corners and no alterations were made to the G code. g.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GEOFFREY For This Useful Post:

If the blade can be held freely rotating (I had assumed it needed a dedicated motor) then the CNC3040 could be adapted easily, surely? Just don't power the spindle. If it's big enough that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenson View Post
    If the blade can be held freely rotating (I had assumed it needed a dedicated motor) then the CNC3040 could be adapted easily, surely? Just don't power the spindle. If it's big enough that is.
    Yep I agree and cutting cardboard is a great use for this machine. Still wouldn't buy one my self but yes I agree in this case if he could find a cheap second hand machine then it's worth a stab.!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information