. .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hi first time poster here.

I'm looking to create a new business this business involves cutting small pieces of cardboard around 3 and 7 mm thick into complex shapes.

I have a very modest budget of £500 I recovered a quote from a company staying that £500 wouldn't even cover the cost of the software and that £7k is a more realistic budget.

I really want to start this company but I have no chance if the CNC machine is going to cost anywhere near £7k.

I am a marine engineer to trade and don't mind making this a DIY project I just want to know if it can be done for my tiny budget ?.

Thanks

Hi welcome to the forum,

Do you have a sample pic of the type of cutting you wish to achieve.

Have you heard of maker spaces or fab labs, this might be a good way of accessing/(hiring time on) machines at a low cost to see if your bussiness is viable. This way you can also try out different machines to see what you might want to buy or build. There is a big variety of machines out there, laser cutters, 3d printers, routers, mills, etc
    CNC routing and prototyping services www.cncscotland.co.uk

ADD ME ON FACEBOOKS

Quote Originally Posted by gavztheouch View Post
    Hi welcome to the forum,

Do you have a sample pic of the type of cutting you wish to achieve.

Have you heard of maker spaces or fab labs, this might be a good way of accessing/(hiring time on) machines at a low cost to see if your bussiness is viable. This way you can also try out different machines to see what you might want to buy or build. There is a big variety of machines out there, laser cutters, 3d printers, routers, mills, etc
    Hi Gav

thanks for the quick reply , I don't have any pics as of yet was hoping to try and prototype with my own personal machine , basically its cardboard cut outs got nurseries and stuff so little teddy bears, guitars that sort of thing , maybe even some 3d creations with cardboard.

i saw this video http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P8jbtRTV6uw

it looks perfect for what I'm wanting I just want to understand how I can get the machine and cutter like the one in the video above for around £500

thanks again

Yeah that's a great idea thanks I will try that. I'm looking to be able to use the cnc machine like this video
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P8jbtRTV6uw
    If I could get a system like the one in this video for around £500 I would be happy.

Have you looked at using a laser cutter much faster and cleaner.
    CNC routing and prototyping services www.cncscotland.co.uk

ADD ME ON FACEBOOKS

Do you have any videos of these ? And would this not leave burn marks on the cardboard I was trying to do this as clean as possible as the final product will be the cardboard it won't be painted or covered ?

No is the answer to your question.! £500 won't be enough to do it correctly.
    If you do try to make it for £500 then you'll only end up wasting money has it will mean buying Cheap sub standard components that give nothing but grief and won't last very long or under perform. It's false Economy and mistake often made by new people trying to do it on the cheap.

£1000 is a more realistic figure for any machine that will be worth doing and even then you'll need to be very savy with what you buy and do all the work your self.

How about as pastry cutter tool (in the shape you want) and a fly press?

If you want a cnc machine for £500 that is a very low budget. Using some very low-end bits you might be able to knock something together (e.g. wood frame, gas pipe rails, home made v-bearings, all-thread leadscrews. . . .) but it would not be much good for anything more demanding. But that might be good enough for cutting cardboard with a drag knife.
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

Quote Originally Posted by Gtee87 View Post
    Yeah that's a great idea thanks I will try that. I'm looking to be able to use the cnc machine like this video
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P8jbtRTV6uw
    If I could get a system like the one in this video for around £500 I would be happy.
    The Drag knife alone is $229 and to do it correctly like you see in the video you need the software or know how to modifie G-code.

Quote Originally Posted by routercnc View Post
    How about as pastry cutter tool (in the shape you want) and a fly press?

If you want a cnc machine for £500 that is a very low budget. Using some very low-end bits you might be able to knock something together (e.g. wood frame, gas pipe rails, home made v-bearings, all-thread leadscrews. . . .) but it would not be much good for anything more demanding. But that might be good enough for cutting cardboard with a drag knife.
    Thanks for this I am really starting to believe that I should go with a manual approach until I get some traction and cash to go for the full CNC machine . Only thing is how do I make the cutters and can this be done to cut right through cardboard ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information