. .
  1. Hi Guys
    For a last few months I've been trying to design and build illuminated CNC control panel. Yes it took a few months :/ . Finally I've managed to finish the experimental version 1.0 it and there is the result:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	control panel.jpg 
Views:	12460 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	11758
    Looks like a Christmas tree, but there is a method in my madness . The buttons are color coded for ease of use and to quickly find them.
    All communication is done using Arduino Leonardo- so the board emulates the keyboard - single strokes and/or combinations.

Name:	1544971_663107817064108_455241087_n.jpg 
Views:	1726 
Size:	102.4 KB 
ID:	11759
    There is the video of the first ever proper test (off line thou)

I'll try to upload more pics soon. If you have any questions - don't hesitate :)

Looks good, what kind of switches did you use ? could you have based it on a USB or wireless numeric keypad thus avoiding the Arduino ?
    e.g. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Number-Num...item338b160591
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 05-03-2014 at 08:40 AM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

3. Hi Eddy
    Each button is made from 3 and 5mm thick acrylic. Top part is painted mat black and then engraved. After that the two parts are glued together. Each button presses tactile switch. Each tactile switch/button is connected to one dedicated port in arduino leaonardo. The sketch in arduino works as follow: When the button is pressed arduino detect change of the value on the input port. Dependent on what button is pressed the arduino sends a specific command to the computer. For example when START button is pressed Arduino sends code of ALT press then shortly after that the letter R, when button is released it sends command of release Key R the release ALT. Sorry but there is no way to use this ebay keypad and to avoid arduino.
    Worth mentioning that there is no need to install any software or plugins on the computer- it sees the control panel as standard USB keyboard.
    Few pics of the parts:

Name:	buttons.jpg 
Views:	3602 
Size:	312.8 KB 
ID:	11760
    Picture above shows my first acrylic back-plate which was kind of failure.

Name:	backplate.jpg 
Views:	1517 
Size:	297.0 KB 
ID:	11761
    It was pain in the neck to glue all parts together and it didn't work as i wanted to. So I've redesigned it all and instead I've cut one-piece backplate from plywood.

Name:	plywood baclplate.jpg 
Views:	1188 
Size:	443.6 KB 
ID:	11762

Name:	front panel.jpg 
Views:	1423 
Size:	315.9 KB 
ID:	11763 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	buttons1 engraved.jpg 
Views:	1123 
Size:	384.1 KB 
ID:	11764 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	engraving Jig.jpg 
Views:	1199 
Size:	367.4 KB 
ID:	11765 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	buttons1.jpg 
Views:	1227 
Size:	295.4 KB 
ID:	11766 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	illuminated.jpg 
Views:	1375 
Size:	376.7 KB 
ID:	11767 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	back.jpg 
Views:	1068 
Size:	326.7 KB 
ID:	11768

That's an awesome build. Coming from a more PC modding background I've seen a few similar projects for other controls but yours looks very nice.

5. Quote Originally Posted by dynamis_dk View Post
    That's an awesome build. Coming from a more PC modding background I've seen a few similar projects for other controls but yours looks very nice.
    Thanks dynamis :)
    I plan to make a proper PCB instead of crude wire connections and some enclosure to accommodate control panel, keyboard and monitor.

Location unknown. YYanchev Last Activity: Has a total post count of n/a. Referred 6117 members to the community.
    Hey. Looks great and I think will do an excellent job. I have the following question: how many keys can be programmed with the Arduino?

Thread Information