. .

Thread: Pacer 900

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Don't get hung up on changing the old computer until you have to. I have a thermwood from 1998 and I assumed I would need a new control unit to modernise the machine. Once I started using the machine I found the control unit to be as good if not better than mach 3. What makes the biggest difference to how flexible and capable your setup can be is the tool path generation software and the pc you have to run it on.
    CNC routing and prototyping services www.cncscotland.co.uk

ADD ME ON FACEBOOKS

ok first thing Monday I will get on it and get some pictures.
    she's a big heavy lump of cnc but hopefully will do for a starting point.
    was lucky to get original CD with program on it and operators manual.
    thanks again for your advice.
    will post pictures asap.

Quote Originally Posted by burnooot View Post
    sounds good, will get some picture's up asap.
    the end plugs are ok, they have split 6 or so wires as they pas thru the bulk head of the machine.
    and with them all being coloured grey its not a simple patch job. would rather a new cable to keep up signal transfer.
    thanks jazzcnc.
    Just a thought regarding the grey wires, have you looked at them ie. are they by any chance numbered along the length like cy cable and others. ..Clive

will have a look and see. thanks clive.

Quote Originally Posted by gavztheouch View Post
    Don't get hung up on changing the old computer until you have to. I have a thermwood from 1998 and I assumed I would need a new control unit to modernise the machine. Once I started using the machine I found the control unit to be as good if not better than mach 3. What makes the biggest difference to how flexible and capable your setup can be is the tool path generation software and the pc you have to run it on.
    Agree with Gaz that if it's working and you can load code generated from CAM then your probably creating work for the sake of it and not always for the better.
    Some of these Old controls and custom boards have very fast dedicated pulse generators that work better than the parallel port and Mach and to get anywhere near matching them could cost plenty of money buying external motion control cards and still not make it much better.
    I would only change if the software is restrictive or difficult to use. Or the machine doesn't meet the speeds you'd like from it and if this is the case then you'll definately be into much more money and work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information