. .
    It's fair to say I come from the 'brick shithouse school of engineering' and so when I look at this ball nut bracket I start to wonder.

Ball Nut Mount/Bracket Nut Mount For 1605 1604 1610 16mm Ball Screw CNC Router | eBay

I'm going to use it for the Z axis front plate and weighing the assembly it comes to just over 14kg, that's with the spindle motor attached. As you can see the bracket is fastened to the front plate with 4 x 5mm studs, now my question is, does that strike you as being strong enough ? it's only shear forces involved I think and I can't cut a recess in the front plate that it could sit in.

I could tap it to 6mm but then there is less 'meat' left on the bracket itself around the holes.
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 10-03-2014 at 02:35 PM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 13 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Eddy I am sure 5mm bolts will be plenty strong enough. I will be interested to hear about the quality of those brackets they are not worth making at that price inc. del. Good find

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

I got these ones Aliexpress.com : Buy CNC BALL NUT HOUSING, MOUNTING BRACKET FOR 2005 BALL SCREWS from Reliable nut wheel suppliers on lishui city hengli Automation Technology co., ltd. and they too have M5 tappings, I'm sure we're not the only ones to use these and I can't remember hearing of any problems. Found this after a quick Google Mechanical engineering other topics - Shear Limit of M5 Bolt
    Neil...

Build log...here

5. The Following User Says Thank You to njhussey For This Useful Post:

Clive, I'm pleased to hear you think so.

Well it arrived today, it's a thing of beauty, made from aluminium it's sides are as smooth as silk, no machine marks anywhere, nicely tapped holes, sprayed or anodised black.
    Took 15 days to arrive from China.
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 10-03-2014 at 03:14 PM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Neil, going by those calc's it should be okay to say the least.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 13 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Well over a ton or even a tonne then, you could put your car on it. ..Clive

Thanks for that chaps, now I can get it fitted.

Thread Information