. .
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Don't forget you will need to set up Mach 3 to respond to the touch probe input. Let me know if you need the details of setting that up.
    Rob

Morning Rob,
    Just a msg to say thank you ever so much for the detailed previous post it was very kind of you to go into so much detail and offering to help. I will msg you.
    Thanks Suesi

Lives in Australind, Australia. Last Activity: 9 Hours Ago Has been a member for 4-5 years. Has a total post count of 72. Received thanks 4 times, giving thanks to others 5 times.
    I have only used the basic z height gauge that came with my chinese router a few years ago, but have been looking at a better alternative.
    Not sure I have found it yet, but I am looking at how Avid CNC ( Formerly cncrouterparts.com ) impliment XYZ zeroing..
    I will use their amch 3 code but make the touch probe myself.
    That might be usefull to you?
    I'm going to make it in 2 parts, a top and bottom sectionand they will 'lock in alignment'. Bottom will be plastic with 2 raised sides for edge finding and the top will be Ali with a 4-5 mm pocket milled in it. ( hard to explain here and I don't have a pic atm. )
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CWe3VP8ZCU

Steve

I'd be interested in your results - if you can post a follow-up. I'd be slightly concerned with using Ali for the insulating properties of it's oxides (in normal use you'd nickel plate Ali for electrical contact work) - but I'd listen to experience over theory on this any day.

Doddy,
    This application is fairly high impedance so I think it might work without problems. If not then the tool will just keep going until it barges it's way through the oxide to a nice fresh layer of aluminium anyway

Kit
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

I am still using the touch-off block I made about 5 years ago, although it is getting a bit old and battered.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191231_132933.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	189.8 KB 
ID:	26969

A simple bit of brass stock, faced off and an acrylic disc bonded to it and trimmed on the lathe. Turn it round and face the top and then mike it up to make sure the faces are parallel. Drill a 4m 'ole in the side for a banana plug et voila!

I find it more convenient to touch off the tool as I have a simple collets pindle.

Lives in Australind, Australia. Last Activity: 9 Hours Ago Has been a member for 4-5 years. Has a total post count of 72. Received thanks 4 times, giving thanks to others 5 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doddy View Post
    I'd be interested in your results - if you can post a follow-up. I'd be slightly concerned with using Ali for the insulating properties of it's oxides (in normal use you'd nickel plate Ali for electrical contact work) - but I'd listen to experience over theory on this any day.
    Good point Doddy. I just assumed it would be ok as the chinese z gauge I'm using is the same. Will jump that hurdle when I come to it.
    I see Avid CNC use a Brass plate...maybe for the reasons you stated.
    It will be a while before I tacke it as we are moving house soon.

Steve

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information