. .
    Gents

Sorry to clutter this forum, with a OT thread.

Lee please delete if you wish

Long boring story, but I need to remove this seat belt tensioner from a donar seat belt, before fitting it into my campervan.

there appears to be lots of videos on youtube etc showing them explode... but i just want to remove it... and keep the seat belt mechanism intact.

you may notice, just to the right of the big yellow 'do not fuck with me' sticker is a thread... which looks like the silver 'rocket' unscrews... but im scared...

ive got some welding gloves... welding mask... and ive just finished my third beer... reckon i should unscrew it?

or... wack it with an AXE and run?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140314_195810.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	337.8 KB 
ID:	11847

Hi KC, when I converted my van into a camper, I heard various stories about the ECU preventing engine start ect after removal (this was to replace the original bench seat with a single seat to permit walkthrough) and decided not to disconnect it, but left it in situ and strapped it up under the new single seat, worked great and I did about 60K miles in my new camper. I realize looking at your picture that may not be an option for you, but I would be inclined to err on the side of caution and would not unscrew, wack or axe it unless I was sure that I knew was likely to happen. Is it not possible to dismantle the seat belt mechanism from around it and then remove and discard the silver rocket without demolishing it? Good luck anyway - if it must be exploded get your neighbor to do it. G.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 1 Day Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Is it physically interfering with anything?
    The reason being is it's probably attached to the inertia section, and removing it will likely render the seatbelt useless. The actual charge is not that large, and will be mostly contained in the cast section. The tube is simply a guide tube with a one-way/single shot ratched mechanism, that a bit wire rope gets fired along, with the other end of the rope pulling locking the inertia mechanism and tightening reel by a turn or so.
    If you do fit it intact, don't cut the connector the off. The connector contains a shorting contact, which shorts the two pins together when unplugged to prevent unintentional detonation (a static charge, or even an ohmeter can be enough to detonate them). Just cable tie the connector up and ignore it.

Thread Information