. .

Thread: Another Newbie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi everyone

Just joined the forums as this looks a great place for advice, im a joiner by trade but my cnc will be mainly hobby use, i've no experience in cnc only what i've been reading over the last few months.

The machine will be in my garage at home so i don't want to go to big plus by the sounds of things its best to start small anyway. I was thinking of a machine with a cutting capacity of about 900 for X 700 for Y and about 150 for Z.

This brings me to my first question is it best to buy the ball screws first then design the machine around there sizes, i've been looking on eBay at the sets from China they seem quite cheep are the OK or best avoided.

The only other question i have for now is have other people bought from china and if so do you have to pay vat and import duty's.

Regards Pintglass

I designed the machine on Sketchup which enabled me to determine the lengths for the ball screws and rails but I did not start to build until they arrived because then, as you say, I built the machine around them. Having sad that the items arrived exactly as I ordered. You could therefore buy a generic set from ebay and design the machine around those.
    Yes I paid VAT and import duty on the amount I was invoiced for, the bill came from the courier in this country.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

No you don't pay import duty from China on ballscrews or rails.? You pay VAT and shipping admin fee which is any where from £10-20 depending on who shipped it.

Both ways works but designing in CAD is much better IMO as it will highlight any clash of components or nasty surprises down the road. It also gives you something to referance from, Just don't go silly on design taking it to emph degree.
    Just the major parts need designing, so main Frame, Gantry, Screw placement/mouning etc and esp the Z axis.!. . . Then get on with building.!

Start a Build thread and post your intensions/design and Ask any questions that your unsure about and even some your sure about.? Because what you think may be the best for your needs can easily not be so better mentioning it.!
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 20-03-2014 at 06:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    No you don't pay import duty from China on ballscrews or rails.? You pay VAT and shipping admin fee which is any where from £10-20 depending on who shipped it.
    Yes, my mistake, I just churned out the words of the OP, I've just got the paperwork out and it's VAT and Advancement Fee (Clearance Administration Charge)
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 20-03-2014 at 09:29 PM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

You'll only pay import tax if the invoice is over a certain value, not sure what that currently is though mind.

You might be able to find further info here: HM Revenue & Customs: Buying or bringing in goods from abroad

looking on that site, its £390 ?

Quote Originally Posted by T0rnado69 View Post
    You been Smoking something you shouldn't.!! . . .. What you on about.?

Edit: Scrap that Tornado I get it now.!! . . . . It's been a long day and still dragging on. .Lol
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 21-03-2014 at 04:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by T0rnado69 View Post

The invoice value before you pay import tax?

Quote Originally Posted by IanS1 View Post
    The invoice value before you pay import tax?
    Ah got it I'd missed the post which mentioned the value.!! . . . . . But don't think that's correct either because I'm always getting stuff with far greater value than £390 and haven't been charged import duty yet.! . . . . I think it more depends on what your buying.?

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    You been Smoking something you shouldn't.!! . . .. What you on about.?
    if only. but i dont smoke anymore and havent since 2004

well it came from that site.

Duty and tax free allowances -
    arrivals from non EU countries

Other goods including perfume and souvenirs

You can bring in other goods worth up to £390 without having to pay tax and/or duty.
    If you arrive by private plane or private boat for pleasure purposes, you can only bring in other goods worth up to £270 tax and duty free.
    If you bring in any single item worth more than your allowance, you must pay duty and/or tax on the full item value, not just the value above the allowance. You also cannot group individual allowances together to bring in an item worth more than the limit.
    Last edited by T0rnado69; 22-03-2014 at 12:33 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information