. .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    hi all, ive for a long time been thinking about a cnc table.

and want to get a list together of what i would need.

been doing a lot of reading different forums, builds and. google searching.

i would say 4ft by 2ft cutting.

steel box frame.

i was looking at making the table so it can be used for plasma cutting with a water table.

or

put thick ply over the top of the emptied water table and use it with a router for woodworking.

cheers

wow nearly 100 views and not one reply with any advice.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 21 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by T0rnado69 View Post
    wow nearly 100 views and not one reply with any advice.
    Hi I don't think you have actually asked a question as to what advice you need. ..Clive

put thick ply over the top of the emptied water table and use it with a router for woodworking.
    If water table was a T slot design the plywood would fasten easily.
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 28-03-2014 at 09:47 AM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 21 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    If water table was a T slot design the plywood would fasten easily.
    Eddy Would the dross or what ever it is called stop the plywood from being flat on the table when fixed down etc. ..Clive

Hi Clive
    Don't know how deep the metal spray would penetrate your tank before solidifying ? but i would cover your "T" slot arrangement with a sacrificial sheet of light gauge Galvanized Steel.When you change to router mode after cleaning and fixing your sacrificial board you will have to skim it to get it flat before you can use the machine.
    regards
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    Eddy Would the dross or what ever it is called stop the plywood from being flat on the table when fixed down etc. ..Clive
    It's the logic of how I've read the statement;

i was looking at making the table so it can be used for plasma cutting with a water table.

or

So I read it as ;

Plasma and water table (not router) OR water table and router (not plasma)

in which case I did not take account of the dross from plasma and in fact I thought it would be very difficult to combine all three considering the mess a plasma would make to the bed/table
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 28-03-2014 at 01:08 PM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Quote Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
    Hi Clive
    Don't know how deep the metal spray would penetrate your tank before solidifying ? but i would cover your "T" slot arrangement with a sacrificial sheet of light gauge Galvanized Steel.When you change to router mode after cleaning and fixing your sacrificial board you will have to skim it to get it flat before you can use the machine.
    regards
    Mike
    Mike Might be wires crossed here my post was indirectly in response to TOrnado69 but yes I get what you are saying.

Eddy Funny I read it one way and you the other I agree the disciplines just don't mix at all. ..Clive

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    Eddy Funny I read it one way and you the other I agree the disciplines just don't mix at all. ..Clive
    Yes, it would have to be an 'and' instead of 'or' for me to think the OP meant combine all three.

Edit: if it helps explain it, I'm left handed and of non mechanical background
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 28-03-2014 at 04:21 PM.

Well I've read it as he want's a router and Plasma with a waterbase.!!

If your going to take this route then think carefully about design because changing from one to the other won't be simple as just throwing a bed on top, you'll need to consider Spindle and Torch location because as anyone who's built a CNC router will tell you setting the spindle up takes a good while and you won't want to be removing in a hurry, then you have skimming the bed everytime you switch which becomes a pain.
    You'll also have to consider the affects of heat throwing the accuracy of the frame and bed out, which for a plasma doesn't really get noticed or matter, but a router will see it easily. Also plasma is messy and abrasive compared to router and they won't sit well together.

Personally IME these type of Combi machines never do anything really well and there's always a compromise. Better building one or the other to be best they can be.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information