. .
    Came across this from Igus, looks interesting, no lubrication plus other benefits, could be an alternative to China ball screws etc. but is it any good ?

Last edited by EddyCurrent; 22-03-2014 at 08:46 PM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

That should be good in a perfectly clean, dry environment.

- Nick

Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Our work uses the plain linear bearings, they require a bore to the correct tolerance to ensure the internal bore of the bush is to correct size after it is squeezed in.

I would still use a ball bearing type on a round rail having used both.

You'd want to use the anti backlash version.
    igus® drylin® - Anti Backlash nuts

They should work fine, as there are hundreds of builders at CNC Zone using plastic nuts on acme screws, including myself.
    3 things to be aware of.

1) They typically aren't rated nearly as high for loading as a ballscrew. With an anti-backlash plastic nut, if you exceed the load rating, then you may see some backlash.
    2) Even though they claim no lubrication is needed, they will work better with lubrication. I use pneumatic tool oil on mine.
    3) Depending on the screw, they are probably somewhere between 50%-80% efficient. Compared to a ballscrew that is about 95% efficient. SO you typically lose~30% of your motor power to frictional losses.

**EDIT** I hadn't watched the video prior to posting. It appears that their special thread profile increases the efficiency But I still doubt that it's better than 80%, but I'll have to look into it. I wouldn't be surprised if these are more expensive than ballscrews from China. ** End EDIT**

Having said that, I'll be using plastic nuts and acme screws on the Z axis of the new machine I'm building. Mainly, because they are far more compact than a ballscrew and nut. And The homemade plastic nut on my current machine's Z axis has been working fine for over 5 years.
    Last edited by Ger21; 23-03-2014 at 01:33 PM.
    Gerry

Mach3 2010 Screenset

JointCAM - CAM for Woodworking Joints

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    goodbye123
    Last edited by m_c; 20-05-2014 at 10:31 PM.

As ger21 says, these work fine on acme. Jump over to cnc zone and look up the "evanut". It's a cool easy way to make nuts. Just made 2 for my xy table and they lowered my torque an eliminated backlash for bout 2 bucks. There is conjecture on how they would work on a ball screw screw, why don't you try it and let us all know
    dave

Thread Information