Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by totally useless View Post
    Hi Mike thanks for the reply. I am in Northwich Cheshire. I will find some photos of the silicon rubber i will be using, but basically it will take a mould from anything, so i was thinking of using either mdf plywood or even plastic sheet for the routeing process.

    put on photos asap.

    peter
    Hi Peter, I was using silicone moulds 30+yrs back when I had a precast concrete business and it was 10x's the cost of latex then but think the prices are better now. Personally I would go with the Dental plaster it's good as you can fill, sand and reshape as you wish and yes you can use silicone or latex for the moulds. The mdf would need a lot of finishing for mould masters, plastics that I don't know as I have yet to find out how good a finish a cnc will make on plastics.
    Mike :)

  2. #12
    Hi Peter,

    The problem is how much was you thinking to spend.? 3040 or even 6040 Money makes it nearly impossible for anybody to compete. That doesn't mean you should buy 3040 because they are poor in many ways and I think you'd regret buying one in long run.
    It's easy enough to build a much much better machine your self for not a lot more money but I don't think you'll get anyone to Make you one for Same Money as 6040 or even DIY unless they are working for free.

    How much was you looking to spend.?
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 24-03-2014 at 09:55 PM.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:


  4. #13
    Hi Mike

    Thanks again for the input, i am not 100 decided on what type of method i will be using for the mould, i just saw a company called "smooth on " on you tube and they seemed to have mould kits for almost any situation, but i am open to any suggestions, and i will certainly be looking at dental plaster. {did you suggest this to be used in the cnc router?} just wondering about the sealing and release agent with the plaster?
    anyway the 2 images below are typically the results i am looking for and any advice in achieving this would be very welcome.

    thanks

    peter

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vcarve1.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	5.7 KB 
ID:	11914
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vcarve.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	9.3 KB 
ID:	11915

  5. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Hi Peter,

    The problem is how much was you thinking to spend.? 3040 or even 6040 Money makes it nearly impossible for anybody to compete. That doesn't mean you should buy 3040 because they are poor in many ways and I think you'd regret buying one in long run.
    It's easy enough to build a much much better machine your self for not a lot more money but I don't think you'll get anyone to Make you one for Same Money as 6040 or even DIY unless they are working for free.

    How much was you looking to spend.?
    Hi jazz
    thanks for your input, i was hoping to be able to spend around 1000 - 1250. i have never built one before and i am not particularly electronically minded ...do they come with layman instructions to build your own? are you talking about a self build kit? or purchasing individual parts from various businesses? So i gather the Chinese kits on ebay are a no no? can you recommend any uk based kit or ready made routers?

    your input is warmly appreciated.

    peter

  6. #15
    That easy done using V-Carve Pro with a good cnc router, dental plaster will get you a good finish for moulding. Latex does not need a release agent and can be brushed directly on to the master or dipped, I've used both and got good results just remember damage latex it only fit for the bin. Silicone can be repaired but you need to seal the master and use release agents.

    Jazz raised a good point how much do you want to spend ? Read the build logs and take the honest advice these guys will give, it will save you lots of wasted money in buying the wrong parts or machine. (speaking from experience here) just wish I had found this forum before wasting my money.
    Mike :)

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to longy For This Useful Post:


  8. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by totally useless View Post
    So i gather the Chinese kits on ebay are a no no? can you recommend any uk based kit or ready made routers?
    Well in all Honesty No they are Ok for learning and getting your feet wet with CNC.!! But if you want longevity and decent quality work for prolonged periods then they do fall short. The Electronics are the worst area which is important for a good CNC machine.

    To be honest if you haven't got the means to build your own then I suggest you look for a Second hand 6040 spending the least you can. Then just use it untill you have saved some more money. While in the mean time you'll have a better understanding of CNC and what you want from a machine then look at building your own or had time to make the 6040 earn enough so it pays for a new better machine.

    Forget Kit's as most I've seen are weak and flimsy being nothing more than get your feet wet toys.!!

    If I wasn't so busy I'd offer to help you build a machine but unfortunatly I've no time free for a long time.!

  9. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Well in all Honesty No they are Ok for learning and getting your feet wet with CNC.!! But if you want longevity and decent quality work for prolonged periods then they do fall short. The Electronics are the worst area which is important for a good CNC machine.

    To be honest if you haven't got the means to build your own then I suggest you look for a Second hand 6040 spending the least you can. Then just use it untill you have saved some more money. While in the mean time you'll have a better understanding of CNC and what you want from a machine then look at building your own or had time to make the 6040 earn enough so it pays for a new better machine.

    Forget Kit's as most I've seen are weak and flimsy being nothing more than get your feet wet toys.!!

    If I wasn't so busy I'd offer to help you build a machine but unfortunatly I've no time free for a long time.!
    once again jazz,
    thanks for your reply. what sort of money would you guess would buy me a cnc router that would be good enough?
    thanks
    peter

  10. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by totally useless View Post
    once again jazz,
    thanks for your reply. what sort of money would you guess would buy me a cnc router that would be good enough?
    thanks
    peter
    Well very hard to answer that because there are many variables. If your talking about buying a Machine in the 6040 size then your into 2K+ for anything like decent quality.
    If on the other hand your going to try building your own then 2K will get you a Very Very nice machine that would be 3-4K if you bought it from a company.
    Your original budget of 1250 would build a very capable small machine with some careful purchasing.

    If you have some tools and mechanical knowledge then it's not difficult building a machine, the electronics are not difficult and with some hand holding they are easily do-able for even those with limited knowledge.
    I will gladly help you regards info on what to buy and where, which is often the hard part for new builders. IF you do fancy having a crack then I'll give you my phone number so you have someone to turn too for advise. I've done this for many people and helped people with absolutley no knowledge of electrics build very nice CNC machines.

  11. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Well in all Honesty No they are Ok for learning and getting your feet wet with CNC.!! But if you want longevity and decent quality work for prolonged periods then they do fall short. The Electronics are the worst area which is important for a good CNC machine.

    To be honest if you haven't got the means to build your own then I suggest you look for a Second hand 6040 spending the least you can. Then just use it untill you have saved some more money. While in the mean time you'll have a better understanding of CNC and what you want from a machine then look at building your own or had time to make the 6040 earn enough so it pays for a new better machine.

    Forget Kit's as most I've seen are weak and flimsy being nothing more than get your feet wet toys.!!

    If I wasn't so busy I'd offer to help you build a machine but unfortunatly I've no time free for a long time.!
    Thanks again jazz, i totally understand you or anyone else being too busy, i myself are stretched for time, but your input so far is already helping, i will be having a trawl through the site this weekend {with the wife's blessing} and i am sure i will come across lots of helpful info to help me along.

    cheeers again

    peter

  12. #20
    Hi Mike,

    Thanks again for your comments, i will take your advice and have a good look through the build logs this coming weekend. I am sure i will pick up lots of great useful info to help me on my way. Dental plaster does sound very interesting Mike, never heard of it before but i will definitely ordering some to have a look for myself.

    Regards

    peter

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Does anyone want to build me a cnc router?
    By totally useless in forum Open Source Designs & Plans
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 05-05-2014, 12:44 AM
  2. How Not To Build A Router
    By Clive S in forum Gantry/Router Machines & Building
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 17-11-2013, 10:09 AM
  3. BUILD LOG: CNC Router New Build
    By PilotTom in forum DIY Router Build Logs
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 25-05-2013, 03:49 PM
  4. BUILD LOG: My Router Build!
    By andy0202 in forum DIY Router Build Logs
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 31-01-2013, 08:51 AM
  5. BUILD LOG: A3 Router Build
    By GTJim in forum DIY Router Build Logs
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 17-02-2012, 12:53 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •