. .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hey everyone,
    Hope it isn't too late to start up a build log. I would have started from the beginning, but work on this thing has been so sporadic it wouldn't have been worth it. But its almost done now, so I figured its time to start sharing :D.

I'll start with the most recent and work back. Just today I was ready to try the router with a bit of jogging. Heres a youTube video of things:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHg5zorIt1g"]YouTube - CNC router test[/ame]

Ignore the sound its out of sync. Its also my first YouTube video :).

One problem seems to be that the coupling on the z doesn't hold the screw, and it keeps on slipping. I tightened it up uber tight, but it doesn't seem to work. Might need to invest in a new one.

I definitely ordered a coupling with 6.35 on one end and 6 on the other. The only thing is when it arrived there were two in the box. I just assumed I'd gotten lucky or something, but now I am think one was 6 on both ends, and the other 6.35 on both ends. So I might have accidently put on the 6.35 on both ends. I'll investigate tomorrow.

As you can see, its a speed daemon :)

Edit: Also, your right, the z is a little high. There are two things though. First of all, I have a milling vice which will add quite a bit of height. Secondly the table still needs beefed up a bit, and lastly, if need be, the whole gantry can come down a little.
    Last edited by lateAtNight; 30-04-2009 at 09:47 PM.

Right... half moons. It all makes sense now! The T bed on top won't have those right?

That is indeed the housing I'm using. And yup, 16mm ballscrews.

A little concern though. There is only about 6.5 cm between the bottom of the table and the actual table that the machine lies on. Is there going to be enough space with those braces?

Regarding the PSU... I think I'll hang onto it. For £40 I think I'd rather keep it on the off chance that I might need it at some point. Would be £65 new.

Just looking at the beefier drivers though and they are £118! Ahahahahahah, OMG, could be a while until I can afford to convert a mill then.

Good work as always. Look forward to seeing the T plate.

Cheers!
    Dave.

There is just over 7cm I think... maybe 1mm to spare?

Edit: I take it you calculated that?

Sweet! It looks so shiny :D.

I think I might have to get one or two of those covers. What was the web site again?

Some things I still need to do:
    1) Get opto isolated BOB. Ordered one from Diy Cnc, but Rob is on holiday. He'll be back on the 20th apparently. Also ordered from DiyCnc: limit / home switches. 5 of them.

2) I've started putting all of the electronics into an old workstation tower of mine. Ordered some panel mount plugs for connecting the motors from Rhonmac-cnc.co.uk. I ordered on the 30th, so its taken a while but I've been assured they are on the way. I think I am going put them over two pci slots rather than have them go out the front of the tower. Will also need some sort of panel mount ac power in, and two out for coolant pump and spindle.

3) Get a mini-itx board to fit into the old workstation tower.

4) Get E stop.

Quote Originally Posted by lateAtNight View Post
    Rhonmac-cnc.co.uk. I ordered on the 30th, so it’s taken a while but I've been assured they are on the way.

I’ve had 3 motors off him before, I think they took about 3-4 weeks to come and two phone calls later, the guy I spoke to did have problems with his leg and was in and out of hospital. I did get the motors however so you should get them, what’s the hold up with your order?

Quote Originally Posted by lateAtNight View Post
    2) I've started putting all of the electronics into an old workstation tower of mine. Pci slots rather than have them go out the front of the tower. Panel mount ac power in and two out for coolant pump and spindle.

I’ve started doing something like the above myself, I’ll post up a build log for it in a sec and repost the link back here for you to look at. I’ve done a nice solution and job of it so far I think, I was going to save it till it was all done but I’ve seen a few posts here now with related things so it’s time to show. You may like to note how I did the AC in option.
    .Me

Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    How much for a ballnut holder like that one kip ?
    .Me

Ok nps. i Had a look at the SMA16 and the FSU ballnuts last night and the SMA16 unit will take a FSU1606 ballnut units. May not need you to make me one now, that said the mounting holes wont be right i bet !
    .Me

9. Allready tried that Lee, while the hole is the right size the fixing holes will not work.
    I had some made that were the same size as the SMA20, and this worked.
    SMA16 was too small.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Roberts View Post
    Ok nps. i Had a look at the SMA16 and the FSU ballnuts last night and the SMA16 unit will take a FSU1606 ballnut units. May not need you to make me one now, that said the mounting holes wont be right i bet !

10. Even easier solusion would be to make a bush that has an id the same as the od of the 16mm ball nut and od the same as the ID of the SMA20.
    Then there is enough ali on the SMA20 to drill and tap for the ball nut flange.

I had some made that were the same as the SMA20 and size wise it worked very well, but making it was too expensive and now i get them from China allready made.

Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    Simple remedy is to make another flange matching the ballnut flange and use long bolts to fasten it at the other side of the housing?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information